1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet Explorer not opening web pages after installation of XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hoggyland, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoggyland

hoggyland Thread Starter

I have just upgraded to Windows XP with SP2 from Windows ME

I have a broadband Internet connection using a Speedtouch modem version 330 the latest version. Since installing Windows XP I have been able to connect to the Internet but after looking at anything from 1 to about 10 web pages I am no longer able to continue surfing . I get error messages saying 'Page cannot be displayed' . The computer remains conected to the Internet.

To find a solution I have disabled XP's Firewall and Pop-up facilities. I have also disabled my own AVG antivirus facility. I have also re-installed the Modem software.

I can however surf normally when I connect the Modem to
    my laptop which runs Windows 98 .

It would appear to be a conflict between Wndows XP and Internet Explorer. To be honest I have run out of things to try.

I also find that after logging off the Internet I have to re-start my computer before I can re-connect to the Internet.

My PC details are

AMD ATHON 1.4 GHZ (DDR) CPU Upgrade
    256MB PC2100 DDR Ram
    40 GB UDMA EIDE HDD

Hope you can help

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Are there any power settings configured for the network card being used on the XP computer.

When it fails to connect to the Internet, can you:

1. Find out what IP address information you have (start / run / cmd, then IPCONFIG /ALL)
    2. Can you ping an external site by IP address (ping 4.2.2.1)
    3. Can you ping an external site by Name (ping www.yahoo.com)

This is to help determine if the problem is with the network card, the TCP/IP protocol stack or the browser.

3. hoggyland

hoggyland Thread Starter

Hi Bob

Sorry I have not replied sooner. Firstly I was expecting notification that a reply had been posted to my Thread by Email but none arrived so I thought no one was interested. Secondly I have been busy with a Microsoft Help line trying to resolve the problem myself. In the end five hours of chatting including formatting my hard drive on the advice of the advisor did not help solve the problem. In the end and by chance I took my modem connection from the USB Hub and reconnected it directly into the computer and it resolved the problem. I must say Microsoft was very helpful and I am hoping my phone calls to India is not going to cost too much.

By the way your suggestions and procedures were some of many suggested by the Microsoft engineer

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430316

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice