1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet Explorer opens a black page instead of the home page site

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by momtaz, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. momtaz

momtaz Thread Starter

Hello guys

I have experienced some errors, let me provide the details:

Acer Laptop,
    OS: XP 2002, SP3, IE8, I have set a webpage as home page, but when ever I click to open new web page it come blanks showing a glob and saying:
    " Internet Explorer cannot disply the webpage"
    underline saying:

What you can try:
    and displaying an icon saying: "Diagnose Connection Problems"

under this icon: showing an arrow with discription: More information...

it's really borhting.. and I tried even to change the home page website but still comong the same, will disply the website online when I type in the address bar and select from the favourites menu,

I will appreciate if any advises,
    thanks

2. Sponsor

3. csy007

csy007

when this happens have you checked ur internet connections eg wires or setting on computer if wireless

4. momtaz

momtaz Thread Starter

csy007: I said the browser did not disply the webpage link that I saved as homepage, I type any URL in the address bar or select any web link from the favourite list and can access and surf any web page.. the issue is: why the browser does not disply the home page saved and I must type it manually? bytheway, I have changed many different webpages still did not display any saved home page,
    regards

5. csy007

csy007

Can i ask what version of explorer u using ?

6. momtaz

momtaz Thread Starter

csy007: did u really read what I have posted and understood what the matter is?? did u read what I have mentioned in my posted question? did u understand or not??
    if u do not know what does "IE8" means pls do not make urself so smart to pretend as a computer expert .. so sarcastic asking this!
    ur question is quite provocative nonsense,
    I can just ignore ur reply.. but as being honest I must tell u what I think u should know to lean from this ridiculous mistake, good luck

7. galoryber

galoryber

Have you tried running IE8 without Add-ons? You can right click your IE shortcut to do this, or go from Start> All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > IE (with no addons)

8. csy007

csy007

well very sorry for trying to help best of luck

9. momtaz

momtaz Thread Starter

Hi galoryber..
    I have just tried it, still the same.. I keep trying searching on google.. it's really challenging,

Thank you for the reply anyway,

10. galoryber

galoryber

make sure to try phantom's suggestion, this would eliminate any typos or incorrect addresses. :)

11. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Missed the following from Momtaz: :)

12. Phantom010

Momtaz,

Do you by any chance have a program called SUPERAntiSpyware installed and running on your computer?

If not, do you have any program that might be blocking changes to the Internet Explorer homepage?

13. Phantom010

If not,

Please click HERE to download and install HijackThis.

Run it and select Do a system scan and save a logfile from the Main Menu.

The log will be saved in Notepad. Copy and paste the log in your next post.

IMPORTANT: Do not fix anything

14. momtaz

momtaz Thread Starter

Phantom.. and all others Thank you so much for the time, the problem has bee solved, and here I will explain how I found out, pls be a bit patient to read the whole story to share my experienve and hopefully will benefit others as I have benefited from your forum lot of times, here is the TOPIC:

usually IE8 merges the pages of the same email and keep the history of the previous visited page, this was really very annoying and few months ago I found the solution which is: to delete the main icon of IE8, and then send a copy (shortcut) to the desktop, then right-click and scroll down to the "propertise" and click OK, then under the tab "Shortcut" you will see this:
    "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE"

Then have to add the the above address "-nomerge" and make it look like this as in beow:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" -nomerge

in my trouble case, my older brother installed new IE8 version and did as I told him, but he forgot the small dash ( - ) before the word "nomerge"
    YES, this very little ( - ) caused this trouble, I just found out and insterted it, then evey thing worked out as usual and done eventually..!!

Once again, I do appreciated all your kind efforts guys with lot of thanks and I wish that sharing my experience will extend some benefits to others,

Regards

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!