Solved: Internet Explorer & system restore wont work

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

1_rob_1

New install of windows xpsp2. windows firewall, avg, spybot, spywareblaster installed. Pc worked on the internet via ethernet.

Set up pc at a different site, installed usb modem, The internet worked but explorer just displayed 'page cannot be displayed'
uninstalled modem & fitted a nw card. same prob.

Set up pc at the original site, same probs.
reinstalled windows again thinking that the prob must have been caused by the modem drivers, but the same happened again.

The prob cant be spy/adware or a virus but Ive run out of ideas how to solve it.

Also system restore didnt work on the first install, and doesnt on the second, an error is displayed: the application or dll c:\windows\system32\mlang.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

Anyone any ideas how to solve these probs?

Try resetting the Winsock stack. For XP SP2, it's simple:

Start > Run: cmd and at the command prompt type and enter:

netsh winsock reset

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811259

For XP SP2 the installed version of mlang.dll that I have is: 6.0.2900.2180

Check to see if you have another copy of mlang.dll in either c:\I386 or C:\windows\servicepackfiles\I386 (present when there has been a servicepack upgrade)

Copy the backup to c:\windows\system32.

If you don't have a backup, let me know and I can upload it as an attachment.

The file will also be present in the I386 folder of an XP CD, but it will require being expanded as the file will be mlang.dl_ and be of a compressed nature.

1_rob_1

Not sure the winsock fix will work because there was no prob releasing/restoring the ip address, I will try though. Ive not got access to this pc at the moment, but why should I need these fixes for a clean install?

It's a standard move whenever you have connectivity problems. This would especially be the case after a bad modem install. I've seen it a few times before.

You may be able to establish a connection, even do FTP things or reach your email -- but other connections do not get through.

However if you are able to get to any address using the IP, but not the domain name -- the problem is likely malware, or a corrupted HOSTS file.

1_rob_1

But even with a reinstall? partition, format, install, same antispyware/av progs.
Same probs. (will try your ideas anyway & post back)

Btw before installation of win xp, I had to enable: Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC because I had shutdown issues on the first installation of win xp.

not that this means anything to do with this prob (i hope)

I also tried to update the bios , which informed me that the update didnt match the current.
ga-71xe.
The installed is .f3 The current is .f7
But if they dont match, then I think I shouldnt bother its not my pc.

Wafling, I know, but more info is better than less.

But as I posted earlier, upon first install everything worked.

If the Winsock stack becomes corrupted at anytime, a simple over the top reinstall will not fix it -- the theory being that any changes to it may be related to legitimately installed applications -- and MS tries not to tamper with those on reinstalls.

Unless Windows was an upgrade from a previous OS, ACPI would normaly be enabled on any motherboard. Resetting BIOS defaults would also normally enable it. There is no indication of any related problem here. It's all probably due to the dodgy modem install. Although some older versions of Ad-aware and Spybot have caused this too.

Is there any reason why you went for a USB modem rather than an ethernet one?

1_rob_1

It is a friends pc, he wanted to upgrade to xp & I offered to do it for him. The pc had no ethernet connection.
I only installed the nw card to check the connections and download any software updates because the only internet connections I have here are ethernet.
After I had done this, I removed the card. (big mistake, On hindsight I should have left it in. His modem can connect by usb or ethernet).

1_rob_1

Forgot to post back results. mlang, I copied from another pc, & the winsock fix worked.

Thanks for your help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online