1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet Explorer vanished toolbars

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by waltkorth, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. waltkorth

waltkorth Thread Starter

I use Windows XP.
    As a result of no toolbar I cannot bookmark, edit, copy or perform any other function accessed from the tool bar. All print and delete commands are ignored (even in Tiscali, used for my email, the delete does not work). Microsoft Word is the only thing unaffected.
    I have performed System Restore several times to earlier dates without effect. Have no idea what the cause can be or what to try.
    Would be most grateful for any suggestions.
    waltkorth

2. Joanyoung

Joanyoung

Right click where the toolbar should be/ then put a check in standard buttons

joan

3. Joanyoung

Joanyoung

not sure if that is what you are looking for .........

joan

4. waltkorth

waltkorth Thread Starter

Dear Joan, many thanks, but I can't restore the missing parts of the toolbar. So I can't mark and delete or copy: delete button is dead and no edit button. No File, Insert, Format, Tools etc. The whole system has become disfunctional. Can't find any virus, either.
    Can get emails (through Tiscali), but can't of course delete them, only transfer them to Trash (enormous by now).
    Bill

5. waltkorth

waltkorth Thread Starter

Adding to my previous message, I cannot print (except in Word) and I cannot download programs. Checking on virus protection (apart from Defender) I find my Avast has expired and I cannot download it. For the ?same reason the Tech Support Guy Free System Scan does not work. So I can't perform a scan.
    Will keep looking.
    Bill

6. waltkorth

waltkorth Thread Starter

Continuing from my last post. I went to Add or Remove Programs where I found 8 copies of Buddy ST6UNST but could not remove them. I then found them in Regedit and removed them from there. The next morning when I booted up everything was fixed and working perfectly. I Googled Buddy ST6UNST and found that it had been infected with a Trojan (Troj/AOL-Buddy). I was then able to download programs and the first was STOPzilla which cleaned up the Trojan and thirty or so minor nasties. All's Well that Ends Well.
    My thanks to those who tried to help and huge gratitude to Tech Support Guy for its speed and userfriendliness.
    Bill

7. waltkorth

waltkorth Thread Starter

I meant Joanyoung

8. Joanyoung

Joanyoung

aww thanks

but I was as good to you as an ashtray on a bike LOL
    Anyway glad you are sorted

joan

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759220

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice