1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet Keeps Losing Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by loveartist, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. loveartist

loveartist Thread Starter

Hello,

I have att dsl and im using a linksys wireless router and lately my interenet keeps disconnecting. Specifically the little wireless icon in the bottom right of my windows 7 display gets a yellow exclamation mark for about 10-30 seconds then recconects. Its quite annoying and seems to be happening more often now. I have a strange setup on the router, i think its running in bridge mode or something and the modem is doing the actual routing. Anyway, I hope you can help me identify the problem and get it resolved. Thanks :)

Cody

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Is this the only PC that disconnects - do other devices connected work OK - if so how are they connected to the router - wireless or wired

please include the xirrus screen shots, it may be the wireless interfering and changing channel - see how below.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
    Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and install the program.
    You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
    Direct link to the program is here http://info.xirrus.com/Wi-FiInspectorConfirmation.html

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
    if you get an error - You need will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.
    On windows 8 - (i do not have windows 8) but, it would appear that, When you first try to run, you may get a message that .net framework is needed, and included in that message is a link to download/install.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-inspectorguide-1-2-1-RevB-6.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running.
    if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

To post a screen shot of the active window.
    1) hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    OR
    2) if you are using Vista/Windows 7 you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

Note:
    For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
    note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/

if you want to optimise base station position and signal strength / dead spots use
    http://www.chimoosoft.com/products/apgrapher/ which has a graph function to monitor signal

3. loveartist

Thanks for your reply, my router is called peacenet33. I also walked around the house while using a different wifi analyzer called inSSIDer 2.1 and it brought up alot more networks than the four in my screenshot. However I have tried on 1 6 and 11 and i still seem to experience the problem. The icon does not seem to be appearing as often. I reformatted my computer so I reckon its not spyware or malware that would be causing it. The other computers are experiencing internet problems as well although I havent checked to see if the yellow exclamation mark comes up. We are all connected through the router wirelessly. What do you think I shoul do?

Attached Files:

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so its wireless interference or an issue with the router / isp / line

any devices connected by cable to the router - do they disconnect
    if you do not have anything connected can you try that and see if its just a wireless issue

change the channel to 11
    can we see an inSSIDer screen shot - just to check the other channels in use

with inssider what is your signal like - is it flat or does it change and go below -70 at all - see the graph on inSSIDer

it may be a DNS issue - try on one of the PCs using an open DNS see how below

whats the make and model of the router do you have a separate modem , if so make and model

Please make a note of the status of the lights on the modem and on the router when working normally - post that light status here.
    Now when the internet disconnects make a note of the status of the lights for the modem and router here again. also note which have changed.

5. loveartist

Well I switched it to 11 and noticed I had it on G only instead of mixed, so i switched it back to mixed. it appears to be working at the moment but its 6 in the morning. Is it possible if a wireless signal is interfering it only happens when they are using their internet? Also is there a way to monitor my connectivity without watching it, it would be interestsing to know what times and how often I lose connection if the problem still exists. It doesn't seem to drop below 70, pretty constant 60 or so. My router is linksys WRT54GL and I am using a separate modem, a motorola netopia 2210-02. I will get back to you on the working lights, and the non working if it happens again. Also I didnt see in the posts below how to do open DNS. Do you think the problem could have been that I was on G only on a busy channel and not mixed? It seems to be working well at the moment. However I would still like to have some software that would tell me when it disconnects just to be sure. Thanks so much for your help :)

Attached Files:

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    may have been - will have to wait and see

so if not

Google public DNS
    Note using google public DNS servers from outside the US may actually slow performace - so use the following as a test to identify DNS issues - if these resolve the issues , then we need to investigate further to optimise the use of DNS

Google public DNS
    http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Theres also a link on how to setup those DNS IP address up on a PC
    http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html

How to set XP here
    http://techie-buzz.com/how-to/google-public-dns-on-win7-and-winxp.html

Then once you have set up those DNS entries

Flush & register DNS

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):
    In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands:

Ipconfig/flushdns
    ipconfig/registerdns

If you receive the message
    The requested operation requires elevation.
    Then please open the command prompt as administrator
    Start> All Programs> Accessories and then right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

now type the command again

7. loveartist

It appears to be changing it to mixed on channel 11. I also changed the DNS though this morning and its still working. But I don't think that made the difference. However since I usually experience the problems at night, as thats when i use the internet most, I am hesitant to say its solved.

I did find a program that is free to check internet connectivity, I hope you dont mind if I put a link to the website for others who view this thread. Here it is http://code.google.com/p/internetconnectivitymonitor/
    I will run this for a day or so and will then confirm that the problem is resolved. Thanks again for your help :)

8. loveartist

ok its happening again, im not sure if its the time of day or the fact that I was watching youtube videos. I have noticed large spikes in wireless signal from the 2wire987 router (image below) near my house. They are on channel 1 and 6 and I am on 11. Could these spikes be causing my internet to drop? I am going to go check the lights on the router and modem, and see if I notice anything, maybe make some popcorn while I wait for the disconnect.

Attached Files:

9. loveartist

well i waited for a disconnect while watching the lights, and when it finally happened I noticed no difference in the lights compared to when its working. What should I do next?

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you try this

they should not be as 1,6,11 do not overlap

did all the other devices disconnect

maybe time to reset the router - make a note of all the settings before doing that

11. loveartist

well I ended up buying a new router, the N kind and that appears to have fixed the issue, I am also switching internernet providers, as that may have been part of the cause. If after they set up the new internet I still have problems, I will start a new thread I guess. Thanks for the help :)

Cody

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    your welcome (y) thanks for letting us know

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082269

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice