1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet OK but download wont move

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MusangKing, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MusangKing

MusangKing Thread Starter

Hi all I need help. My internet connection is definitely ok, i could surf the web etc, i can dl other things EXCEPT all online lectures from my uni's site. The download is stuck at a few kbs/sec and it wont move, no progress or anything but later on it automatically states that download is completed. And the file doesnt amount to its rightful size which is a few MB. I used to be able to dl without any problem, this occurred quite suddenly. It happen few months ago, I thought maybe to give it some time and it would be ok.
    [​IMG]
    But Ive tried many times and I dont think it is anything with my uni's site because ive tried to dl the same file with another computer which is successful. I tried switching browers, reinstalling my browsers and turned off my firewall but they wont work.

I would be grateful if someone can shed some light regarding this? Thanks :)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Same network (ISP, modem, router, type of connection to modem or router)?

3. MusangKing

I've tried using my computer to dl in my uni through the uni's wifi, went to a friends place and used their wifi but unsuccessful. But i at the same time, at those places when i switched pc's there was no problem. So i guess i can say ive tried same and different ones

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The only thing that comes to mind (or my imagination) is that a security application is corrupted and now doesn't like .m4v files. What firewall, security suite, anti-spyware or anti-virus applications are, or ever were, on the system?

5. MusangKing

windows firewall, kaspersky antivirus 2012. Ive tried downloading audio file .mp3 from that site, but it wont work too. this time something like this came out.

C:\Users\Shun\Desktop\media.mp3.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.
    Try again later, or contact the server administrator.

thx :)

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  7. MusangKing

sry, i know its off topic, but i always had this issue 'problem loading page, server not found, cant find server at...' including the link you gave me. It happens quite often and persistent only with certain sites, eg i could go facebook or etc but some they just keep 'problem loading page'.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Didn't realize that you have more general networking issues.

The troubles occur with both ethernet and wireless connections?

What browser(s)? What operating system?

Make sure you have the latest networking drivers. Get them from the PC manufacturer's web site if integrated adapter. If you have the correct driver reinstall it anyhow in case the installed instance is corrupted.

9. MusangKing

Wow, after uninstalling kaspersky i could access the link you gave me. I tried to download the mp4 file and it works already as it used to be.

First of all thank you so so much for helping. But could you explain to me about this problem based on your deductions? because i used to have kaspersky all along before i encountered this problem. Thanks a lot :)

And also is it ok without an antivirus program?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No anti-virus program is perfect but I like to keep one running because at least it will catch and defeat most "old" viruses. I use Microsoft Security Essentials (or the built-in Windows Defender in Windows 8) plus the Windows firewall.

Yes, see post # 4:

They all can get corrupted through malware battles or incompatibility with a Windows update or a buggy update of their own. You can now reinstall Kaspersky if you desire and probably go many more months or years without another issue like this.

You're welcome. :)

If all the problems are now fixed you can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page or just below the last post.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085666

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice