1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet only in safe mode after Skyrim graphics update

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by widz51, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. widz51

widz51 Thread Starter

Hello.

1) I only have internet in Safe mode with networking.
    2) I get a black screen in normal mode if my graphics card has its drivers installed.

Acer Aspire was working. After installing 11.11b update for AMD 5670 graphics card, Skyrim crashed my laptop. I got a black screen at the enter your password screen.
    I have removed drivers in safe mode and can then get into normal mode. However once I did so my Norton 360 was inactive, like it had never been setup and I cant access the internet; specifically the wireless adapter wont enable.

I have since uninstalled Norton, turned off all uneccessary programs through msconfig-startup and still have no internet in normal mode. The icon at the bottom right wont refresh or show any net connections. IIn properties of my wireless adapters the drivers are showing as working, but I cant access 'status' or enable the card. Back in safe mode I can enable the card. My Graphics card drivers automically install but then I need to remove them to get back into normal mode.

Help needed to a) get net in normal mode

so I can re-install my norton and b) install some drivers that will allow me to play my games and re-start my laptop without a black screen.

Thanks in advance
    Windows 7

2. valis

valis Moderator

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have you tried a system restore
    start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore
    choose a date before the update

as we are dealing with a couple of issues - see if we can take one at a time

1) remove norton using the norton removal tool - see how below
    2) run a tcp/ip reset and post the results
    3) Goto device manager and roll back the driver for the graphics card - display adapter

--------------------------------------------------------------

Norton Removal Tool
    I would recommend that you restart the PC and run the removal tool for a second time - I have found instances where the removal tool needs to be run twice to fully remove all traces of norton and symantec from the PC
    http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN

All Versions - The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2010/2009/2008/2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products, Norton 360 and Norton SystemWorks 12.0 from your computer.
    http://majorgeeks.com/Norton_Removal_Tool_SymNRT_d4749.html

--------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista/Windows 7

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
    and press enter

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
    and press enter

Reboot the machine.

If you receive the message
    The requested operation requires elevation.
    Then please open the command prompt as administrator - as requested above
    Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Please note and post back - if you receive the message
    Access is Denied

Post back the results here - we need to know these commands worked correctly
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. valis

valis Moderator

reopened.......I'll close the other one. ;)

5. widz51

widz51 Thread Starter

Valis; Thanks for re-opening
    Etaf; thankyou v.much for the reply

So,

-I have restored to an earlier point with a different graphics driver-I get the same problem.
    -In the uninstall a program table I cant see any Norton to do a 2nd uninstall as you suggested..?

This is a screenshot of the instructions you said to type

[​IMG]

What happened is;

I restarted and got into normal mode. The internet is still not working and the laptop did an auto driver install for the graphics card which I couldnt stop(how do you prevent this?) and so Im guessing the computer switched from the internal graphics card the AMD one and the laptop crashed so Im back in safe mode.

If I can get back to normal mode with internet I need to turn off the auto detect feautre to give me time to ??(load an earlier driver).

Advice welcomed.

6. widz51

widz51 Thread Starter

Have completed the Norton Internet removal tool procedure and still the same situation.

Here is a pic of my wireless adapters in normal mode;

[​IMG]

7. widz51

widz51 Thread Starter

Here is a pic of my wireless adapters in safe mode with networking(which Im using now);

[​IMG]

In normal mode right clicking shows the drivers are fine/working, I cant select 'status' or enable or disable.

Help needed! :S

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  9. widz51

widz51 Thread Starter

Etaf;

read the link thanks. Ive already done that and its not working. The article says if it fails to work, remove drivers and manually install. However I dont know which drivers to use... Im currently on this driver;

25/08/2010 8.741.1.5000

...which is not working/causing a black screen on normal loading.

Further help needed please

10. widz51

widz51 Thread Starter

Posting photo of results which are slightly different AFTER using the norton removal tool.

[​IMG]

11. widz51

widz51 Thread Starter

Other info that may help someone help me;

-Have downloaded new vga and bluetooth drivers from Acer. They need to run through free arc but wont.
    -Have identified in the devices section a yellow warning triangle next to Consumer IR reciever. Have disabled that driver and no improvement
    -Cant see a new Consumer IR reciever driver to download for Acer aspire 5943g
    -Have looked at Task-Manager-processes- nothing with high uses
    -Unsure what to delete form the startup process to eliminate the problem (internet works in safe mode)

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you have two graphic cards on the PC ?

in safe mode its using the VGA basic drivers and NOT the graphic drivers for the device - and that appears to be the issue
    in device manager - can we see a screen shot of the display adapters
    using start>run> msconfig>startup tab
    look up each entry against this database
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/
    and then turn off
    OR
    you could do a clean startup
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

13. widz51

widz51 Thread Starter

Morning,

This is a screenshot of the 2 graphics cards. The top one normally reads as ATI HD 5670 Radeon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. widz51

widz51 Thread Starter

Etap;

I had to do a restore again last night so Norton was back on my laptop.

I ran the autorun (which kept freezing). About 50% of the names werent found on the bleepingcomputer site or another similar one.
    However I deleted what I could (glad to get rid of the ultra annoying java updater) and re-used the norton uninstaller.

Restarted and SURPRISE! The normal mode works with a picture and the net is running on it :)

Im going to re-install Norton, do a re-start and run my programs, so fingers crossed nothing crops up.

For now below are 2 screenshots to show you how the devices are now theyre running.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will post back a final status. For now Ive learnt a lot more about procedures etc I can do and do do more system restore points definately.

15. widz51

widz51 Thread Starter

Almmost there. Computer restarts fine after Norton install. Issue is now the graphics driver (see below) which has gone from a score of 5.9 to 4.2

[​IMG]

Please can you help with this.

As it so far I owe you one. Cheers!(y)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029201

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice