Solved: Internet only works on safe mode

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

KieranBroughton

My internet hasn't been working normally for five days now but works fine on safe mode. I have tried an Avast scan for viruses and didn't have any. Any help? I have a Acer Netbook and Windows XP

hiya,have you tried performing a System Restore back to a date when it was working correctly.

KieranBroughton

yes, I have my firewall on medium and have tried every setting and I have tried system restore, didn't work

is any Yellow ! or Red Xs in device manager showing,could be a driver or proxy setting

KieranBroughton

Do you think I might have malware, would it be worth doing that hack thing I have seen on this site where it lists everything on my Laptop?

can you look in services and check that all these are enabled and running in automatic
COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
Computer Browser
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Network Connections
Network Location Awareness
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Server
TCP/IP Netbios helper
Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations only) )
Workstation

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
However, given you are able to connect to the Internet in Safe Mode (with Networking?), there has to be an application interfering with your browsers.

Try a Clean Boot procedure (2 pages) to hopefully isolate that application. Run it for both Services and Startup items.

KieranBroughton

So I followed the steps on services and done the clean boot, it is now working. Thank you. I really appreciate it :)

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
Impossible. You need to run the whole procedure. It can take up to 30 minutes. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online