1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Internet Options won't save command

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by kw7w, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kw7w

kw7w Thread Starter

I feel really guilty about asking another question, but I have checked everywhere and no one knows what is wrong. I am running Windows ME with all the updates. I have a Pentium iii with 256k memory.

My problem is that when I go into the control panel, open Internet options, then communications, the check is at "Never Dial a Connection". I check "Always Dial my Default Connection". It works just fine for that time, then when I start the system up again, it has put the check or dot, in the Never dial a connection box. This is very frustrating, what am I doing that is wrong to make it keep the connection the way I want it??
    Thank you again

Ron Rose

2. Del

Del

Hi Ron, Welcome Back
    Can you go to Internet Explorer, click on Tools and Internet Options?? Could be restricted!!
    Also, when you turn on your computer, do you get a logon window and click escape or cancel??

3. kw7w

kw7w Thread Starter

I can access the tools and Internet Options. I make the change there, it is the same situation. I tried this numerous times before asking the question. Thanks for your response.

I do not get a logon window either.

Thanks

Ron

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If User Profiles are being used you may need to go to Control Panel > Passwords > User Profiles and check "all users of this computer use the same preferences and desktop settings". If you are not logging on, they shouldn't be in effect though.

Also go to start, run regedit and click Edit > Find. Enter (one word): nosavesettings and hit Find next. Right click on and delete this entry whereever found. Hit f3 to continue the search to completion.

5. kw7w

kw7w Thread Starter

I just finished trying that Del, and nothing different. There were two nosavesettings and I deleted both of them. Restarted the computer and no change, still went to Don't Dial in both the Internet Options in the Control Panel, and the same in IE6. When I checked the Passwords, they showed All Users of the computer use same preferences and desktop settings.... I am really lost now. You guys are just great though.

Ron

6. randyrayd

randyrayd

I'm not sure if your Internet Settings (isn't that in Window$?) would be affected (comments from more knowledgeable would be appreciated) but when all else fails, and ya don't know what else to do......uninstall/reinstall. It's easy and can't hurt anything, but backup your Favorites.

That's fixed past problems with I.E. and Outlook Express in the past. Sometimes files get corrupted.

Randall

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Let's see if we can edit the registry directly and get it to stick, although I doubt it is going to as something must be changing it back.

Run regedit again and enter enableautodial in Edit>Find and have it find it. Make sure you start with the file tree completely collapsed.

Right click on EnableAutodial in the right hand pane and select "modify".

Change the Value data to:

01 00 00 00

There may be several locations for this, so after each hit and modification, hit f3 again to continue to the end of the search. Modify all entries found.

By the way, do you have any other browsers, and is IE your default?

8. Del

Del

OK, Go to Start > Control Panel > Dial up Networking and double click.
    Right click on your dial up connection and click properties.
    Click Dialing and see what is checked, if you have a check in This is the default internet connection, uncheck it.

9. kw7w

kw7w Thread Starter

Hi Del;

That did it!!!! I don't know why, but it works just like a charm now. Thank you so much for your time, and for you others that responded, thanks to you as well.
    I don't know what I would do without your expertise and friendly undying support.

Thank you again.

Ron

10. Del

Del

Thanks Ron,
    Glad we were able to help you..
    Come back and read when you have time, there is tons to learn here.
    Have a great day,
    Del

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118773

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice