1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet performance problems

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jude2, Mar 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jude2

jude2 Thread Starter

Hi, IE on my Toshiba Satellite C660 has been getting particularly slow over the last 6 months and keeps stopping or freezes so I have to boot up again to clear it. This is after clearing browsing history etc. repeatedly and recently running scannow which repaired some registry items after I removed some non essential programs. I've also upgraded RAM to 4Gb although strangely laptop is saying only 2Gb is useable. I tried another RAM module with the same result.
    Laptop details are as follows:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 925 @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2047 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 5 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 119236 MB, Free - 50651 MB; D: Total - 118836 MB, Free - 111055 MB;
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, PWWAM
    Antivirus: ThreatTrack Security VIPRE, Updated and Enabled

Is there anything that can be done to sort this out other than recover to the original state.

Many thanks

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    when you updated the memory , did you use the correct module ?
    run this scanner and see what it says
    http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-info

you have 64bit windows - so should report the 4GB Ram (32bit usually reports just over 3gb usable)

2GB of RAM and a celeron CPU is not going to be particularly fast
    BUT it maybe worth doing a clean boot and see if any programs are causing an issue at startup

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...ation-conflicts-performing-clean-startup.html
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/929135
    and then you need to put some of the critical startups back - like firewall / virus programs

3. jude2

jude2 Thread Starter

I'm sure I used the correct module. I found an exact match on ebay. I guess it had been stripped out of another computer. After installing it the useable memory was still only 2gb although it had increased by about 0.2Gb. As this could have been faulty I then ordered and fitted one specified by Mr Memory :
    2GB 204-pin SODIMM DDR3 PC3-8500 1066MHz
    with same result ie only 2Gb useable. Could it be that the modules have to be identical to operate all the storage available?

I'm a bit nervous aout trying the internet after doing a clean boot. What would I need to turn on apart from my antivirus to make sure I am protected?

Many thanks

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the complete model/part number of that C660 series laptop?

The complete model/part number is comprised of 2 sets of characters separated by a dash.

-----------------------------------------------------------

5. jude2

jude2 Thread Starter

Hi Frank

PSCOLE-03400JEN

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You have a Toshiba Satellite C660-1JH (PSC0LE-03400JEN) 15.6" laptop.

It comes with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit pre-installed in it.

It comes with an Intel Celeron 925 2.30 GHz single-core processor and 2 GB of RAM.

The combination of both would explain one reason for its slow performance.

If you've increased it to 4 GB of RAM and it's still reading only 2 GB, you may have purchased a bad module from eBay.

Some laptops can be finicky about which brand/speed/voltage modules you install in them.

7. jude2

jude2 Thread Starter

Ok thanks for that. I will try it with just the ebay module in it to determine if the module is faulty.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm guessing you live in the U.K..

Trying to save a few dollars by purchasing memory modules from eBay can result in you spending more money in the long run.

---------------------------------------------------------

9. jude2

jude2 Thread Starter

I live in the UK yes. Thanks for your advice. I admit I wouldn't normally of purchased this on ebay. The main reason I did was the fact the module was identical to the original and it wasn't available new anymore. I have tested the ebay module on its own and the memory reads exactly as the original ie 2.00Gb 1.87Gb useable and there appears to be no difference in performance so I'm sure now the ebay module is not faulty. When I put in both modules the memory is 4.00Gb 2.00Gb useable.
    There must be something else limiting the useable memory so it looks like I will have to make the best of 2Gb and maybe try the clean startup to see if there is any software causing a problem.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    See Option One under CONTENTS in this article about the maximum memory that Windows will use. Windows defaults to use all available, but it could have somehow been set to use only 2 GB.

11. jude2

jude2 Thread Starter

TerryNet you're a star!

Memory had been set to 2Gb. I just unchecked the appropriate box and hey presto I now have 3.84Gb of usable memory registering.

Computer speed and surfing noticeably quicker

Many thanks TerryNet and everyone that replied to my posts.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) Glad that worked out for you!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice