Solved: Internet problems - ISP could not help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Fellerts

I'll try to explain my difficulties in detail:

I cannot acces certain websites during certain hours of the day, but the problems occur irregularly. Chrome cannot access adobe.com, steampowered and some rather important norwegian websites (error: connection interrupted), neither can IE or Firefox. During these hours, Steam won't connect to the servers. I only have a switch in my house, I'm on a fiber cable so the routing is done at the ISP's central. I tried calling my ISP, but the guy had no idea how to fix it, and he had never heard of anything like it, so no help there.

I tried disabling my firewall, but still no connection. I'm certain that this has to be some sort of Win 7-related software problem, because I only have this problem on my Win7 ultimate 64 bit and my Win7 enterprise, not on XP or Vista.

A reboot of the computer fixes the problem, but it keeps coming back. I need a permanent fix!

Thanks in advance :)

TerryNet

Terry
What firewall?

Make sure you have the latest ethernet driver--preferably from your PC (or motherboard) manufacturer's site. If you already have the latest reinstall it anyhow in case the installed instance is corrupted.

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

Fellerts

Thanks for the reply, and thanks for re-opening the thread.

I downloaded what seemed to be the ethernet drivers for my mobo (Asus P8P67-LE), and I also carried out the commands you suggested. After a reboot the problem seems to be solved for a couple of hours, although that doesn't get me anywhere because a reboot does solve the problem for a few hours anyway. After that I'm back to square one. The firewall I was talking about is the computer's firewall, just the standard windows firewall. This is complicated, though, because I'm behind a main firewall and NAT (whatever that is) which are both located and controlled by my ISP. As I said, my ISP has no idea what the problem might be.

I'm near desparation on this one, any help is very much appreciated!

TerryNet

Terry
Did you ever have another firewall or security suite on the system? If so, which one(s)?

What other security applications (anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc.) are running?

Fellerts

I only have Avast antivirus installed, which has its own firewall. As far as I can tell, turning its firewall off doen't change anything either.

Fellerts

I replaced my Avast with AVG (completely arbitrary) and deactivated the Windows firewall, after 4 hours I still havent experienced any problems! Seems like there was a firewall conflict! I am extremely relieved, thank you so much, TerryNet! You have no idea how frustrating this has been, and nobody have been able to help me. Thanks again! :D

TerryNet

Terry
You're welcome. :) After a day or two if the issue doesn't return you can mark this solved using the
button at the upper left of the page.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online