1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet Problems

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by squadalaah, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. squadalaah

squadalaah Thread Starter

Just a few days ago, my father brought by some old PCs from his office, and asked me to reformat them and get a fresh install of XP on them. One of the PCs was giving me "limited or no connectivity" before the reformat, and I assumed that wiping the hard drive would help fix that. Since reformatting the only thing I've put on the computer was the driver for the wireless card (which works with our router, tested on every other computer in the house).

The limited or no connectivity problem persisted, and after the troubleshooter tripped up on renewing my IP address I tried "ipconfig/renew" as well as "netsh int ip reset" in command prompt which didn't help any. then I tried manually configuring my IP address to 192.168.0.2 and subnet mask to 255.255.255.0, which got me fully connected. Still, no pages will load, i just keep getting "The page cannot be displayed" in IE.

Anybody have any idea what could be interfering with my internet connection? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what are you using for XP , are all the PCs using a genuine copy of windows ?

3. squadalaah

XP Professional, service pack 3. Also yeah, they're genuine.

Another update, if I plug in an ethernet cable and then unplug it again, everything works perfectly until I restart the computer, at which point it goes back to being difficult.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    is it only the one PC

try removing and then re updating the driver
    also post back the following when working and again when it disconnects

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    {ipconfig /all}
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
    We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
    -> Start
    -> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all
    -> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
    control key + V to paste
    {Ping Tests}
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

Start> Run {search bar in Vista}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

Type the following command
    Ping {plus the number thats shown against the default gateway shown in above ipconfig /all}
    Post back the results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Ping google.com
    Post back the results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Ping 209.183.226.152
    post back results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

5. squadalaah

I had forgotten to manually update several of my drivers after the reformat, and after updating my chipset and network drivers the problem resolved itself. I have restarted several times since and had no further problems. Thanks for your helpful suggestions, though.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the page of the thread in the upper left corner. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973398

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice