1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet Randomly Cutting Out

Discussion in 'Networking' started by evilsanta, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. evilsanta

evilsanta Thread Starter

Hello there, I have comcast high speed internet... but I have noticed that every so often, the internet cuts out for a couple seconds... can be quite annoying.

Ive done some research, and many people had similar problems, and had attributed it to their Motorola modem. But I could not find any fixes for it or anything.

Also, I currently have that, then I have a linksys wrt54g wireless router, then it goes to my computers.

Any advice would be appreciated!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, try a direct connection to the modem and see if it exhibits the same issue. Also, is this wired or wireless? If it's wireless, you may also want to try changing channels.

3. evilsanta

evilsanta Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that all my computers are wired to the router, wireless is for my Wii/Nintendo DS :)

Anyways, I am not sure if I will be able to setup a direct connection to test it, as right now my network is in use... but if I get some time I will be sure to try it.
    However, in the mean time... what are the possibilities? Anything I can do such as performing a diagnostic?

4. JohnWill

Any reasonable diagnosis is going to take the network down, at least for some period of time. :)

5. evilsanta

evilsanta Thread Starter

Alright, I am currently on a direct connection and there seem to be no problems whatsoever. Which means its my router...

I hope its not a hardware issue, could it be in the router settings itself?

6. JohnWill

Two things to try.

Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure it.

Upgrade the firmware to the latest version.

7. evilsanta

evilsanta Thread Starter

Will do, thanks much for your help! :)

8. dungeonguard

dungeonguard

I had the same problem with my Linksys WRT54G wireless router. It would sometimes cut out the Internet connection. However, after lots of bad tech support and products, I gave up on Linksys and went to Belkin which works great.

~Simon :)

9. evilsanta

evilsanta Thread Starter

Yeah, unfortunatly that might be what I have to resort to... thankfully JohnWills advice seems to have done the job... however only time will tell. :)

10. JohnWill

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.© :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/559995