1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet Randomly Drops (Long Term Issue) Please Help! Pic Included!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by domgilberto, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. domgilberto

domgilberto Thread Starter

Hi All,

First I want to thank anyone here who can kindly help me with this painfully long lasting issue i have yet to find a way to rectify!

Here is the situation:

There are a total of 4 computers using the bandwidth on one network within my household.

Please click the picture to see a perfectly simple and detailed outlay of my network with the make and serial of the routers used!

The Issue: My computer which im typing from now (Computer 3 from diagram!) will drop randomly if i browse the internet or am downloading something whilst using the browser.... or sometimes completely randomly for it to then always reconnect by itself after 10-15 seconds.

Also EVERYTIME I restart or log on to my account i will need to restart Router 2 (see diagram) then click the mini comp on toolbar (bottom right) for connections > Open Network and Sharing Centre > Local Area Connection (right side) > Disable > Then Click red "X" and allow windows to sort issue in order for my internet to work on Computer 3!? It will not work unless i do THIS procedure. This happens ONLY on computer 3?

I really appreciate an experienced opinion on helping me rectify this issue!

Thank you very much!

Attached Files:

2. Rockn

Rockn

Is it an issue with the computer itself or the connection it is connected to? Have you tried swapping PC1 & PC3? I am also unsure why you are using a second router instead of a switch in the location where PC3 is located.

3. domgilberto

Im confused? What do you mean by Switch? Computer 3 is right at the back of the house around 25 metres away in a converted garage.... The PS3 cannot pick up the router wirelessly from within the house (Router 1) so therefore i have the ethernet going to a second router (router 2) which allows connection for my PS3 and Computer 3.... HOWEVER it drops randomly sometimes and switching over computers wouldnt make a difference... or at least i was hoping you could tell me that if it had something to do with OS?

4. domgilberto

Ah ok... switch being a HUB? Yeah you`re right its not a second router its just a hub i think!

5. domgilberto

Still desperate to hear other peoples suggestions? My Ethernet to Comp 3 is Cat 5E well they all are.... Im up for hearing suggestions on how to correctly... (if ive done it wrong) set up the network.... Or if its something to do with firmware OS... etc... seems a little strange that my connection is mint and then it drops and reconnects when it likes....

6. Rockn

Rockn

25 meters away with CAT5 is not bad as long as you are certain that cable is good and not routed near any electrical or other things that might induce noise into the cable. Is it just CAT5 patch cable or plenum/shielded grade cable? I was asking you to swap the computers around to see if computer 1 would then experience the same issues as computer 3. Then you would know it is a problem with the location and not the PC. Does the PS3 experience the same outage with wireless connectivity when PC3 does?

7. domgilberto

As far as i just checked there is no electrical interference and its a CAT5E i think its shielded but thats a guess atm.

I`ve swapped the cables before and it does the same thing.... Doesnt make a difference.... PS3 rarely disconnects once its connected....

What im wondering is if it is a issue with windows 7? I.e. why is it just my computer that randomly disconnects and connects as it pleases? Is it something to do with my modem, router changing i.p address` etc?

8. Rockn

Rockn

I am not talking about swapping cables. Your computer is connected across the LAN to another router and if that router is not configured correctly it will more than likely give you some sort of issues. Swap the computers and see what happens. What do you have to lose? I am not sure why you are so resistant to trying this.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since the PS3 has few if any problems the cable between routers 1 and 2 is probably good. What Rockn is saying is that the cause of the problem could be in PC3, the ethernet switch part of router 2, or the cable between PC3 and router 2. You may have eliminated that cable as a culprit, but that still leaves the computer or router. You can expend an awful lot of time trouble shooting one of those if the problem really exists in the other one. :)

10. domgilberto

Ah i hear what you`re saying.

Is there a program i can install/use to determine the quality or status of my ethernet cables before i start buying new ones for all computers? If my "router 2" allows for wireless access then i guess its not a hub/switch is it.... therefore would it be better to purchase and test new ethernet cables and a switch so i can wire to PC3 and PS3 and not have any wireless at all? Then if the problem persists it must be down to software or OS?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In your diagram we see a "bunch" of ethernet cables. Not knowing the lengths or how accessible they are, can any be swapped to see if the problem moves with the cable or stays with PC3/router 2?

What exactly is this "router 2" (brand and model)? Are you using it as a router (with its WAN port connected to router 1)? We can post a simple procedure to connect/configure it as an ethernet switch and wireless access point if it is a typical wireless router with four LAN ports.

12. domgilberto

Router 2 is a netgear Sky version lol? I cant find the model? When ever i log onto the router its showing router 1 not router 2?

It has 4 LAN ports.... and what looks to be a grey telephone port? Its got a wireless dongle aswell.... Any ideas where i can find out model or how to access it?

Just want to say, Im really appreciating everyones help so far!

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Sky" made me suspect it's a DSL modem/wireless router combo, and "grey telephone port" just about guarantees that's what it is. If in fact it is as I suspect then it is connected to router 1 via one of the 4 LAN ports, right?

14. domgilberto

Yeah? I think thats right. The grey telephone port on router 2 as shown in the picture, isnt being used though. Its just a 25metre cable from router 1 to router 2 and another ethernet cable from router 2 to PC3....? It is a DSL Modem as well i think...

Sorry im not really that clued up but what you`ve said sounds about right? Why`s that?

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you did not disable the Dhcp server on router 2 that could be the cause of your problems.

You will probably need to disconnect router 2 from router 1 to access its configuration pages. Following is a complete procedure to use. The most important part is to disable the Dhcp server.

JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029062

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice