1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet Service Provider

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by arcticrain, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. arcticrain

arcticrain Thread Starter

How do I set my computer for Internet service after reinstalling windows xp professional 2002?
    I contacted my local service provider who told me to contact Microsoft support who in-turn told me to go online on a different computer and type my problem in search and this how I came to this site.
    Below is my computer info I need internet provider service.
    microsoft windows xp professional 5.1.2600.2180 "[xpsp-sp2-rtm.040803-2458]" . 2002 service pack 2 build 2600 . dell intel pentium 4 CPU 2.26GHz, 256 MB of Ram . 76487-0156105126-22226 . X86-based PC .
    Thanks

2. raybro

raybro

Hello arcticrain, and welcome to TSG...

Lets a little more information...

What type of internet connection do you have available? (cable, DSL, satellite, dial up)

Do you currently have a contract with an ISP? If so, who?

Raybro

3. arcticrain

Raybro,
    I have cable connection and ISP provider is GCI. I just talked to them again and walked me through a few steps through Device Manager and find out I need network drivers. They said I could find them online and download a copies but need someone in advanced computer knowledge to help me find the correct ones out of hundreds.
    Lorraine

4. arcticrain

Raybro,
    Can you help me find the correct drivers to download to disk and walk me through the instalation?
    Lorraine

5. raybro

raybro

I see in the specs you listed, your computer is a Dell. If that is correct, please get the Dell Service Tag number and the Dell model number of your computer. The service tag will be on the back of the tower where the cables connect (desktop machine) or on the bottom of a laptop. It will be a 7 digit alpha-numeric.

Raybro

6. arcticrain

I collected all information there is on the back and is: Windows XP Professional - 1-2CPu...Dell - 0932RY...Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity - X08 73060......under Product Key numbers is a small bar code with numbers - 00045-166-333-773. There is a separate small label on the side with two bar codes and numbers - 2M9TY11. I believe that is all the information I have regarding this particular desktop. Did not see anything that read Service Tag or Model Number. Thanks

7. raybro

raybro

The 2M9TY11 is your Dell service Tag number. Make a record of that for future use. Your Dell computer is an Optiplex GX260

Click here to go to the Dell driver download site for your computer. It should come up with the page with your network drivers. There are 3 files listed. The only one you need is the 3rd one for the network driver. Click either of the links in the box for the driver and it will take you to a page with that file only. There you will find expandable step by step instructions on how to download and install the network driver.

Good luck... I'm going to call it a night.

Raybro

BTW... You should edit out the product key from your last post. Not a good idea to put that on a public forum.

8. arcticrain

Hi Raybro,
    I want to THANK you for all your help. I am online now but now I have another issue. My Multimedia Audio Controller is not installed. Upon starting my compuer, I get a "Found New Hardware" message. I have tried several different ways to "install" the driver via the Hardware Update Wizard, but always end up with a msg. that the hardware was not installed because the Hardware Wizard cannot find the necessary software. Under "Sounds and Audio Device Properties" on my computer, it states that I have "No Audio Device." Under Device Manager, I have the big yellow question mark next to "Other Devices" and under "Other Devices." Can you help me get my audio back -- where do I go for the update to my driver, if that is what I need to fix this problem. Thanks so much!
    Lorraine

9. raybro

raybro

Same site you got the network driver. click here to get the Audio driver.

Raybro

10. arcticrain

Thanks so much. I will do so.
    Thanks,
    Lorraine

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/993443

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice