1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet Set Up for First Time

Discussion in 'Networking' started by baxter12, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. baxter12

baxter12 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a Dell ATG Laptop (an older model) that I just loaded Window's XP (service pack 2) on it by a cd. The next thing I am looking to do is set up the internet. I haven't been able to get that going just yet. I could really use some support on how to get the internet connected with no router. I have a high speed internet connection through our cable provider (ethernet -lan connection) that works on my current computer. I have listed below some things I have tried to check and do.

1. When I go to connect to the internet, it says page cannot be displayed.
    2. There is a 1394 Connection established even when the ethernet cord is not plugged in.
    3. When I pull up the 1394 connection from the pop up in the bottom right hand corner and click the support tab no IP Address appears.
    4. I have tried to click the repair button but get the following message.
    "Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot proceed"
    5. I have clicked the start button, run tried ipconfig and ipconfig/all and get no response and no flicker of a black screen.
    6. I have tried the following two entries in the command screen and rebooted. This did not work.
    netsh int ip reset reset.log
    netsh winsock reset catalog
    7. I have walked through this website and could not find anything that was missing or working improperly.
    How to troubleshoot missing network connections icons in Windows Server 2003 and in Windows XP
    8. I have the internet protocol (TCP/IP) properties set to obtain an IP address automatically and obtain DNS server address automatically under that 1394 connection that is already set up.
    9. I have tried to set up a new connection for the internet and haven't had much success with doing so.
    10. I have tried to ping the address 127.0.0.1 and was able to send and receive data with no error messages.

I would really appreciate any support to determining what the problem could be.

Thank you!

2. Lucky09

Lucky09

Hi Baxter,

1394 is totally different thing. See its description http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1394.
    If i understand it correctly, it is direct connection from your modem to the computer(no router). Its looks like your ethernet adapter is not responding. Go to device manager and check your network adapter driver status. Better to uninstall and reinstall its driver. If you can't locate the Network Adapter, go to BIOS and make sure the Onboard LAN is enabled.

3. baxter12

baxter12 Thread Starter

HI Lucky09,

I have entered the BIOS mode and saw the Intergreated NIC ia enabled with PXE. I have also checked the network adapter and uninstalled and reinstalled the driver. I still don't have a connection. Do you happen to have any other ideas?

Thank you!

Baxter

4. Lucky09

Lucky09

I'm assuming the driver for your NIC is listed normally and don't have error. Is it giving you result on ipconfig now after you uninstall and reinstall the driver? If not, try ipconfig while the ethernet adapter is unplug just for testing purpose.
    Temporary disable your Security SW as well or try Safe mode with networking

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    And remember to power cycle (unplug for 30 seconds) the modem when switching the device connected to it.

6. baxter12

baxter12 Thread Starter

I have tried the ipconfig in safe mode with networking and no luck. I did mention before I reinstalled the 1394 network adapter. But, I just looked under device manager to see network adapters and saw the following list. Did you mean for me to reinstall one of these options?

Attached Files:

7. Lucky09

Lucky09

Thanks for the screenshot. that really helped. It shows your Ethernet Controller/ Network Controller under Other Devices which only tells us that it can be recognized as Hardware but the driver is not installed. You may not noticed yet the other problems but there are more than internet. Everything on other devices means missing driver. I'm assuming, you used a retail version of OS. What is the exact model of Dell Laptop? you may want to go to their website and look for your model's SW and driver downloads if it's still available.

8. baxter12

baxter12 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Lucky it's a Dell Latitude 630. Is there anything else you recommend to update based on the other devices area in the device manager section?

9. Lucky09

Lucky09

10. baxter12

baxter12 Thread Starter

Thanks for the information Lucky. I"ll give this a shot.

11. Lucky09

Lucky09

Thank you. It should work with the correct drivers. Feel free to post back if you'll have more questions.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089136

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice