1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: internet shortcuts open print dialogue box

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by valis, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. valis

valis Moderator Thread Starter

weird issue at the home pc. XP home. Anniversary is coming up, looked for some places to spend it, found a few I liked, copied the url, desktop > right click > properties > new > shortcut which brings up the new shortcut box. Paste url > next > named it b&b (bed and breakfast), clicked finish, thought I was done.

Wife gets done watching American Idol, goes upstairs, and clicks on the link. It promptly opens up the printer dialogue box. That was in Firefox, our default browser. Tried it in IE, same thing. All other icons work fine. Only when I create an internet shortcut do I get this issue, and I don't even know how to begin to google for it.

Ideas, anyone?

tia,

v

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Open Folder Options > File Types and find the shortcut for url: internet shortcut.

Select "advanced" and make sure the default is set to "open", not "print".

Attached Files:

3. valis

thanks rog, will try that tonight when I get home......I've got school until 9sih, so I won't be home until 10, but pretty sure that will do the trick.

just out of curiousity, how can that get changed? I don't usually put anything on my desktop, and I would say that since the last time I've done so, we've switched printers, removing an HP and getting an Epson AIO. Would that cause it? I run a pretty tight shop, so I was a bit surpised when my home rig wouldn't do what I told it to.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Beats me unless somehow the file type dialog got opened and someone clicked on the print default for the shortcut. It also occasionally happens that the registry key associated with it just gets buggered -- sometimes by removing or installing something.

I've seen this happen before and that was the fix -- so hope it works. You may have to re-enter the "open" command if it is missing.

5. valis

we installed some lower end business software for my wife's business recently; 30 bucks for like 15 apps, ranging from business cards to invoice makers.......I would put a LOT of money on the fact that that software is involved somehow......oh well.

all the more reason to get her her laptop quickly.....:)

6. valis

getting closer. Not getting the print dialogue box, now I'm getting teh attached.

weird, I tells ya. Both internet folder options are set to 'open', fwiw.

Attached Files:

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

hmm, I've seen that problem covered someplace, but can't remember if there was a solution.

For now check the "edit" properties of the file type and see if they conform to mine in the attachment.

Also make sure in Internet Explorer > Internet Options > Program tab that IE is checked for being the default browser.

If you have IE6 there is also a tab for resetting settings that you can try.

Actually, try the XP file association fix for URL internet shorcut from here instead:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

It includes another registry location as well. I've removed the one I attached.

Attached Files:

8. valis

thanks, I'll check when I hit the house tonight. No school, so I should be on by 8 CST and we'll get this knocked out......weird stuff, man.

9. valis

no, they are not the same.....see attached.....will fiddle with it, and see what happens.

If you hear a muffled *boom* down houston way, you know I hit the wrong button.

Attached Files:

10. Augie65

Augie65

Mine is even different from Rollin' Rog. If his path doesn't work, you can try mine.

Attached Files:

11. valis

ummm....isn't yours set to print, augie?

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Is this XP SP2 IE7 you are using or an earlier version of either. Mine reflects IE 7 -- but yours I recall was the default for earlier versions.

In any case I don't think you can go wrong running the registry patch. It's probably not the "application" doing the opening that is the issue -- but some damaged or missing clsid.

There may also be some security updates accounting for the difference.

13. valis

actually, I'd like it to work in FF, but the IE version is 6.

14. valis

did the trick.....and I've got another tool in my kit......thanks, rog.

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

:cool:

That should have been my first thought -- but forgot the patch was out there :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!