1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet slow as a turtle

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Mrcobra, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

ok I have 2 machines, both win xp. We are connected to the internet via router(cable connection, hardwired) My computer surfs the internet just fine and my speeds are what they should be. The wife's computer is another story. A little history on her puter. HD went south on her so she purchased a I believe 300GB hd. Model is a compaq, 4-5 yrs old. She has formatted the drive and has the OS back on it along with all of her goodies lol. At any rate ANY website she goes to it will take a long long time to bring up the page. She has tried using Firefox as well and the same results. The computer in general runs fine, opens programs in average time etc. I am wondering if that big of a HD has ANYTHING to do with it but since overall puter performance is ok I doubt it. we have also swapped out the lan card with no success as well as changed the cat-5 line as well. Computer has been scanned for virus's and spyware. Any suggestion would be great

2. kimsland

kimsland

The slow computer, may be doing lots more than you think.

Windows Updates
    Office Updates
    AntiVirus
    Adobe
    Machine drivers
    Quicktime
    FirFox
    Nero

Really the list goes on and on.

Just about every program installed constantly do background updates (without the user knowing)

I use a small program called Startup from here :http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
    To turn off some of these things.
    But you do need some help in knowing what to disable and what not to.

Post back with your List if you want. !

3. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Yep I know this; there is NOTHING running in background.........

4. kimsland

kimsland

5. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

defrag has been done already ! And again I do not buy into any program that says it's going to "SPEED" up your internet lol

6. kimsland

kimsland

OK.

But defrag option was indirectly pointing to the harddrive write access.

The above link is trustworthy, but I will understand if you would like to ask for support elsewhere. Or from someone else.

By the way, I have fixed every job, I've ever had !

7. Anijuice

Anijuice

Mrcobra, I have a similar problem. If you happen to fix it, could you let me know what you did? Thanks.

8. Tstright

Tstright

All Senior Member means is you've posted enough to attain that Status, Nothing Else.
    We're not MindReaders here....

9. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

And there is ABSOLUTELY no reason for you to reply to this post either but ya did didn't ya ?

kimsland I DO APPRECIATE your suggestion(s) and did not mean anything by my "SENIOR" comment lol. Let's just say for the sake of this discussion that I have been through the basics lol.....

10. Tstright

Tstright

True, but you did edit it now didn't ya....

And a Large HD would not cause slow surfing.

11. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Very good, theres no getting anything past you :)

Thanks for the info on the HD size not having anything to do with it. The problem appears to have been rectified by doing a reformat.

Thanks again all for the help

12. kimsland

kimsland

Anijuice I fear that's not the answer you were looking for.

Mind you a format does fix everything

13. Anijuice

Anijuice

I've already formatted and it didn't fix my problem. One time I did restart and my connection was good for about 3 minutes..other than that my connection has been terrible 24/7.

14. kimsland

kimsland

Anijuice please create a new thread.
    This one is marked solved

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644952

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice