1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet works on host but not client (wireless) - help!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by minkabelle, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. minkabelle

minkabelle Thread Starter

I'm pulling my hair out over this one. I've trawled the web to find a solution but can't find anything anywhere so I'm really hoping someone can help!

I recently bought a Netcomm NB5Plus4W ADSL 2+ Modem Router. I've connected it successfully to the host computer (my desktop - which I'm on now) and I'm able to access the internet no worries. When I try to add my HP Pavilion Notebook (client) to the network, it won't automatically assign an IP address so I manually assign 192.168.1.3 and it recognises the connection and says 'connected' and 'excellent signal strength' but I can't open any webpages, etc. I tried changing it to obtain an IP address automatically but it says 'Limited or no connectivity'.

Any idea why this is happening and what I can do to fix the problem? It's driving me insane...

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Can we start with the version/patch level of Windows on the laptop?

Does the HP Notebook connect to other wireless networks? Have you disabled all encryption on the router to attempt the connection? How about disabling any software firewalls on the laptop?

3. BratDawg

BratDawg

First Name:
    Carla
    Firewall - now there's a place to look. On the notebook is there firewall software? What is it running? I have to go into the firewall network settings on each of our computers and tell it to add the range that our network is. Always forget to do that at first when I'm reinstalling a computer or adding a new one.

Norton and mcafee have network wizards that you can run.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you set a static IP address did you also set the Gateway and DNS server(s) addresses?

Who configured the router? If it was your ISP, don't be surprised to find that they used one of at least two ways to restrict the Dhcp server to providing only one IP configuration. Check the LAN settings on the router.

5. minkabelle

I have Windows XP Pro SP2 on the notebook. The notebook does connect to other wireless networks as I've had it connected to a few since I bought it. As for the encryption, I couldn't see where to disable it. I was given a WEP key and I've set the notebook up with that. I have also disabled all firewalls including Nortons on the notebook, Zonealarm on the desktop & Windows Firewall on both although I did add the network range to Norton (192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.3). I configured the router myself. I'll post an ipconfig /all soon.

6. minkabelle

Result from ipconfig /all (if that helps)

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Amanda.NOTEBOOK>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : NOTEBOOK
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-B0-F8-20-8D

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Networ
    k Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-02-22-77-62
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth LAN Access Server Driver
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-41-22-16-89

C:\Documents and Settings\Amanda.NOTEBOOK>

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Result from ipconfig /all (if that helps)"

Sure it helps. But it would have been shorter to simply answer "no" to my question "When you set a static IP address did you also set the Gateway and DNS server(s) addresses?".

Can you ping the router from the laptop?

What is the Dhcp server range on the router?

8. minkabelle

"Can you ping the router from the laptop?" - No.

"What is the Dhcp server range on the router?" - Not sure what you mean here. (I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to networking)

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm not sure where to go with this now. You said you configured the router, and yet you can't find where to disable the encryption that you enabled, and you said that you were "given a WEP key."

Who gave you the WEP key? Since you can't ping the router, I'm guessing either that static IP address is incorrect, or you are using MAC address filtering on the router to lock yourself out, or the encryption key doesn't match between the router and the laptop. Can you confirm or disprove any of those?

Maybe an ipconfig /all from your working PC will help.

Can you access the router again and look around for the encryption, LAN settings, etc. I'm not the least bit familiar with that router, but most have WAN (internet), LAN, Wireless, Advanced, etc., sections.

10. JohnWill

If it can't get an IP address from the router using DHCP, my guess is manually configuring it probably won't help. I think the key here is the statement:
    If the key is wrong, you are describing the exact symptoms you'd get. Like I said, disable encryption on the router and see if you connect. My guess is yes...

11. minkabelle

That did the trick! I disabled the encryption and it worked like a charm. Thanks guys! :)

12. minkabelle

Actually, I have another problem now. I'm unable to download any emails to the client computer using MS Outlook. Why would this be?

13. minkabelle

Scrap this. I'll start another post.

14. JohnWill

You might want to re-enable encryption on both ends now, and insure you use the same key. The usual problem with encryption is mis-matched keys.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice