1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet works when plugged in but wireless is not working after Windows XP r

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dan100, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dan100

dan100 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have a Dell Precision M60 laptop. Wireless internet was working perfectly until I had to reinstall Windows XP. After the re-installation, laptop and wired internet works perfectly but the wireless internet is not working. I have tried various things after reading other forums etc but still cannot get it to work.
    I have a Netgear wireless ADSL modem router and Intel Pro wireless 2200BG network adapter.
    When I click the icon on the task manager for available wireless network connections, it shows my network with full signal strength. I enter network key and press connect, but it just says not connected. I'm not too familiar with network connections. Please help.

2. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

1st thing i'd check here is that your security key for your wireless is correct on both ends,
    even logging into your router when hardwired and removing the security key for wireless and trying to connect without security enabled would be a good start, mainly just to see if your computer will connect with no network key needed. This will determine if its the key thats causing the problem.

If however it still is not connecting, I'd start with getting the latest drivers for your Intel wireless network card, uninstalling the network adapter from device manager and installing it again with latest drivers and try again to connect

3. dan100

dan100 Thread Starter

Uninstalling the network adaptors then reinstalling them with latest drivers solved the issue. Thanks for your help.

4. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

No problem, glad you got it sorted.

when you have a chance, please mark this thread as solved.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973958

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice