1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: invalid IP address in both card and built-in WA

Discussion in 'Networking' started by foxx, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. foxx

foxx Thread Starter

i have a really mind-boggling issue here.. i can connect to the internet if i use an ethernet cable. desktop is okay, but when i try to connect the wireless, i cannot connect. i have DELL inspiron 2200, winXP pro, a DELL wireless card and the laptop has a wireless card too. this card has been used to connect to the internet wirelessly before using a linksys. now my ISP sent me a new modem/router i get APIPA. alternately connect wireless using the built-in andthe card. both got invalid IP address. wireless switch is on, wireless zero config was started and restarted too. DELL wireless utility gives out the same result. how will i know if the modem is not giving out the IP? or its the card that is defective? it says connected on the wireless connection though, but 169... IP.. please help me.. anyone?? :confused:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please post an ipconfig /all for a computer successfully connected.

I got lost on what connects and what doesn't--
    desktop ethernet yes?
    desktop wireless?
    laptop ethernet?
    laptop wireless no?

Check the router's Dhcp address range and subnet mask.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I would post the IP information for when you can't connect as well to see what the invalid IP address is.

4. foxx

foxx Thread Starter

modem ip address: 192.168.1.254
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Private LAN DHCP Settings

DHCP Start Address: 192.168.1.1
    DHCP End Address: 192.168.1.253

and im sorry for that.. i can connect on the desktop because its hardwired, but the laptop cannot connect if its trying to connect wirelessly. i was troubleshooting that issue via remote access, i was not able to print anything on the DOS prompt, but i think i tried everything i know.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

But what is the IP information being assigned to the computers.

For example, IP address, Subnet Mask, Gateway and DNS addresses.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    OK, the router settings look OK.

So desktop connects via ethernet, and you haven't tried it with wireless.

Laptop fails wireless connection, and you haven't tried it with ethernet.

How about trying the desktop wireless and the laptop ethernet to see what happens.

Are you sure that you are trying to connect to your network, not a neighbors?

For posting an ipconfig /all (from JohnWill):

For 98 or ME, Start, Run, COMMAND to open a DOS window:
    --- or ---
    For 2K or XP, Start, Run, CMD to open a DOS window:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

7. foxx

foxx Thread Starter

if its wired, i get

ip address: 192.168.1.97
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    default gateway: 192.168.1.254

wireless:
    i get APIPA

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Normally, when we ask for an IPCONFIG display, we want everything. Here's the easy way to get the whole thing.

For 98 or ME, Start, Run, COMMAND to open a DOS window:
    --- or ---
    For 2K or XP, Start, Run, CMD to open a DOS window:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

9. foxx

foxx Thread Starter

nope, i can connect to the internet using ethernet cable on both desktop and laptop. the laptop cannot connect to the internet if i have it to go wireless even if it actually has 2 ways of connecting (PCMCIA card and built-in wireless adapter). i try to use these connections alternatively, i get invalid ip address just the same. now the reason why i cant copy-paste whats on the DOS prompt is because im doing this while on remote access and giving out the instructions via the phone.. (now you guess the nature of my job) ;-)
    i was handling this issue for 3 straight hours, and still cant figure out why. the wireless in this laptop connected before, why cant it connect to the new wireless device?? software compatibility? does it matter if its 802.11b or 802.11g?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "does it matter if its 802.11b or 802.11g?"

Good thought. It could. If adapter is 'b' and router is set for 'g' only, that's a problem. Routers can generally be set to 'b or g'.

While the person is checking/setting this on the router (if the adapter is 'b'), have them change the SSID to something unique (not 'default' or 'linksys') and disable encryption if it is on.

Then have them make sure they are connecting to their network. And that there is not another network in range with the same or close channel (the other router may have been using a different channel).

And make sure that only one of the wireless utilities (adapter's or WZC) is running.

And checking for wireless adapter updated driver could help.

See ya tomorrow.

11. squidboy

squidboy

I'm not certain why you're using 2 different wireless devices but....if a wireless device is not receiving a DHCP address it's usually because of some encryption (wep, mac filtering, etc) or timeout due to a plethora of reasons, etc. The exact reason is not always apparent on the client side.

Inspect that router if you can.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

An easy way to test if it just due to wireless security settings on the router would be to just temporarily disable them. If it starts to work then you know where the problem lies.

13. foxx

foxx Thread Starter

i disabled all securities. when i disabled the wep key, i got a valid IP. wireless connection worked. why is that?? and if i can remember the troubleshooting, renamed the SSID and changed the wep key to 64-bit. the wireless connection NEVER asked for a network key to be typed in. it just connected automatically and the network name is correct. what happed back there? what did do wrong?

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you changed the router to have WEP, you need to put in a correct key at the workstation.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "i disabled all securities. when i disabled the wep key, i got a valid IP. wireless connection worked. why is that??"

Probably the wrong key had been entered (computer).

"renamed the SSID and changed the wep key to 64-bit. the wireless connection NEVER asked for a network key to be typed in."

And it's now connected and working? If so, don't know why; see Bob's post above.

So, are you ready to mark this 'solved' (use Thread Tools in upper right) or are we still having problems with connecting to the encrypted network?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!