1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Invalid MAC Address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by omsoft, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. omsoft

omsoft Thread Starter

I have a Linksys WAP55AG access point and a Dell Latitude E4300 laptop. The laptop has wireless 1510 wireless-n wlan mini-card.

I do MAC filtering on the access point. This works well with another laptop and Blackberry and such. But when I enter the MAC address of the E4300, I get an Invalid MAC address error. The only difference I noticed between all other MAC addresses and this one is that this address starts with first number as c4. All others are 00 .
    hanks.
    Could that be the reason? Dell website seems to imply that the card is backward compatible with 802 G.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. schang626

schang626

this happened to me once on a linksys router. what i did was i changed the first number to 00 and it worked. It might work for u too.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

4. omsoft

omsoft Thread Starter

I tried putting 00 instead of c4 and that does not do the trick.

I also checked the MAC address database, but none of mine are recognized. May be it is not uptodate.

5. omsoft

omsoft Thread Starter

ON further checking,c417fe belongs to Hon Hai Precision Ind. Co.,Ltd. and I assume a legit vendor.

How do I tell the access point that it is a valid address? I also tried a firmware upgrade on the access point. But no difference.

Thanks.

6. JohnWill

I'd have to assume that a firmware upgrade for the WAP and/or driver updates for the adapter are about the only avenues here.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is there some reason you have to use MAC Address filtering instead of encryption?

8. omsoft

omsoft Thread Starter

I am using PSK TKP and MAC filtering as an additional layer of deterrent.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I assume that you mean WPA(2)-PSK encryption with TKIP. That has not yet been broken (with a strong passphrase), so it is sufficient. I don't know why you are getting the error message, and my only suggestion is to read The ABCs of securing your wireless network, or similar information, and see if it changes your mind about continuing to fight this issue.

10. omsoft

omsoft Thread Starter

Thanks I will look at the link. I was just hoping an extra layer. I know it can be spoofed.

11. JohnWill

The addition of MAC filtering only makes it harder for you to use your network, as you have already discovered. ;) It adds precious little to real security. I run WPA2/AES, and I don't lose any sleep worrying about people cracking my wireless network.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!