1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Invalid system disk

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Whirlwind, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Thread Starter

Hello everybody,

It's been a while since my last post, always feel good to be back here for help and chit-chat :)

I also see a lot of changes to the site, so exciting! Master bhesson has became Bryan :D (personally I prefer the former nick)

Now may I state my problem, I know what I did is unorthodox but... well, I do learn things the hard way and through trial & error

I took an 6.4 GB HDD (with win98 installed) out from the Venturix Pentium 200 MMX, then throw the drive into the PII 233MHz custom built PC (with MSI ATX LX6 M/board). Assume that it would boot into windows per normal, and will also detect new hardware bla bla bla. Of course I did make sure the drive is recognised by the BIOS.

Despite all my effort and expectation, after Verifying DMI Pool Data........, all I get is:

Invalid system disk
    Replace the disk, and then press any key *sigh*

Is there anyway I can get around this? Instead of formatting the HDD and clean install windows again.

Thank you for spending time to help

2. esdxc37

esdxc37

if you have a windows start up disc use that to boot up
    can you then get a c: promt

3. deanas

deanas

Hi Whirlwind:
    I believe you will need to install windows. You don't
    neccessarily have to reformat. If it was me, I'd boot
    with a win98 startup disk and do a dir command to
    see if you can see the files on the harddrive. If you
    can, rename the folders windows and program files
    and then install windows.
    I tried to do something similar once. I had an old 486
    at work and wanted to reinstall windows so I thought
    it would speed things up if I used my home pentium.
    BIG mistake. It installed alright, but when I tried to put
    the harddrive back in the 486, the 486's bios wouldn't
    even recognize the drive. That's when it hit me that
    when you install windows its not just a shell to run pro-
    grams, but it also interfaces with all the devices so when
    it installs, it installs according to the motherboard and
    devices attatched to it.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I don't think you should get invalid system disk in any event.......

Are you sure you've jumpered it correctly? And as silly as it sounds, you don't have a floppy disk in the floppy drive? Or a cd in the cd drive if per chance it's in the boot order.

5. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Thread Starter

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies

esdxc37: I used the win98 bootdisk and get a C: prompt alright. What do you suggest that I should do from here?

AcaCandy: I jumpered correctly, is there a case when you do a C:\dir, see all the files and folders in the HDD and yet the HDD has been jumpered wrong?

deanas: you used the HDD from a better/newer system to put in an older system, (could that be the reason why it didn't work?). And I did vice versa, did you get Invalid system disk then?

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hmmm, I wouldn't think this would matter, but did you have a software overlay program on the hard drive for the old computer to recognize the full capacity?

Something like EZ-Bios maybe?

7. harpstringer

harpstringer

FAT 16 - FAT 32 ? Any difference in the File allocation tables of the two drives could cause a problem. OR - You might get away with putting your start-up disk in the a: drive and at the A: prompt typing SYS X: (with X being the drive letter of the newly installed "old" drive. ) Hope that helps::cool:

8. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Thread Starter

I fixed it! :p

The problem comes from wrong configuration of hard disk parameters.

In the Venturix Pentium 200 MMX CMOS setup, it was configured as: Cylinders: 13330, Heads: 15, Sector: 63, Mode: Auto

So I did the same in the CMOS of the PII 266MHz, thanks to AcaCandy's hint on jumper setting, I went to check the Seagate website and change the parameter as follows: Cylinders: 833, Heads: 240, Sector: 63, Mode: Large

And the whole thing worked well, boot into windows with New hardware found bla bla bla

Thank you all for spending time on my problem

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66179

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice