1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Inverter or CCFL

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kwheeler7, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kwheeler7

kwheeler7 Thread Starter

I have a Compaq 6910p laptop running Windows 7. Lately I have been getting a pink tint to the screen and have tried all adjustment to the display settings I could find. I removed the bottom portion of the LCD screen by using the instructions on the Compaq web site. I disconnected the inverter checked for any cracks or physical damage and could not find any. I put it back together and everything seemed fine. It worked fine for about a day. I am now getting a pink tint again when I start it up but it seems to go away after a little while. I am now getting a flickering on the screen It was flickering at a pretty fast pace when I started writing this. It has now stopped the flickering and the tint is gone but I feel it is just a matter of time. Would this be caused by a bad inverter or is there a backlight in this that could be waiting to die? While I was having the problem I hooked it up to an external monitor and it was fine. Thanks

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    A Google search for ccfl backlight red tint flicker gets a lot of results that say the problem is with the CCFL tube in the LCD panel. You would need to decide if you want to replace the entire LCD panel or try to take the panel apart and just replace the CCFL tube assembly (glass tube, wires, and inverter connector). FYI, Some of the internal parts and interconnections of an LCD panel are very fragile when it is taken apart.

3. kwheeler7

kwheeler7 Thread Starter

I am going to try judt replacing the inverter. I have a place nearby that has one in stock. It is only $8 US. While I am doing it I will look at how difficult it will be to replace the backlight if I can see it. I will get back to post my results. Thanks

4. kwheeler7

kwheeler7 Thread Starter

I am pretty friendly with the person that owns a local computer repair a local so I bought the laptop with me to see what he thought. He said it was the CCFL or the screen itself. As we were talking the screen went totally black. I asked what he thought of replacing the CCFL. He said he doesn't do it because of the time it takes and some of the problems that come up. He said he just replaces the screen itself. He then went into his back room and came back with a screen he took out of a newer laptop that was beyond repair. He gave it to me at no charge. I installed it and it works and looks better than it has looked in months. It must have had a slow death. I went back to let him know and gave him a gift certificate to a sandwich shop across the street from his shop. Thanks for your input.

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You're welcome. (y)

LCD screens come in a wide variety of mechanical configurations with different connection methods, pinouts, and operating voltages. You had some good Karma going for you for the shop owner to have had a screen that sounds like it was a drop in replacement.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!