1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] invisible links!!!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Davidt_28, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Davidt_28

Davidt_28 Thread Starter

Hi, I am having problems with a website where basically I cant see any of the links. For example, it is like logging into this site and not being able to see the underlined advert links on the right hand side. I have absolutely no idea what is going on and neither do the developers. I can access the site perfectly from other computers but not from the one I use on a day-to-day basis. It is a subscription service and the problems only occur once I have logged in. I have windows XP and Internet Explorer 6 if that is any help. I am hoping that someone in the world has a clue what is going on!!!

2. e-liam

e-liam

Hi David, and welcome to TSG.. :)

Does it only happen on the site you want to access? You may want to post a link, and we can see if anyone else has problems with it. You say you subscribe to it? If it's a free one, I'll register and see what happens myself.

If it's not free, then right click on the page and click View Source. Do this both before and after logging in, copy the code for each event and paste it in a reply. It may show what's causing it...

If this happens on other sites, it can be down to an over-zealous ad-blocker. It happens with the one included in my firewall, and as it doesn't actually cause many problems, I just leave it as it is. :)

Some links can be recognised as comercial links, and it just puts up a small text box with AD in the corner, although most of the links still exist underneath.

Hope that helps..

Cheers

Liam

3. Davidt_28

Davidt_28 Thread Starter

Hello. Unfortunately I do pay for it and the links I have problems with are only available in the members area. I can access the members area from other computers and the links work fine. I will paste the source from my pc and a pc that works if that is any help. One developer found that if he simply shortened the length of the link my pc could recognise it. Does this sound like a problem that you have heard of before? I will return shortly with the source copies.
    Thanks for your help so far.

4. e-liam

e-liam

Hi David,

Could you send the source code via my Private message service please. I've just realised that login info etc, will be in the signed in one somewhere. To do this, just click on my name at the top, and then click on the private message link. I'll have a look, although I'm not an expert, and if I can't find the problem, I'll take out any personal info, such as passwords, names etc. and post them up for someone else to check through.

I'm going out in a little while, so I'll have a look later.

Cheers

Liam

5. Davidt_28

Davidt_28 Thread Starter

i cant send it in the form of a personal message because it is too long. Is there any other way that I could send it to you?

6. hewee

hewee

What is your firewall setting?
    Maybe your blocking java, ActiveX, etc that the site uses.

7. e-liam

e-liam

Hi David,

Thanks for emailing the code, and that's fine, I'm happy for anyone to email me. (y) :) My firewall decided to block my mailserver, so I've only just been able to read them.. :)

If you look at the top of each set of code, you will see an error at the top of the non-working one that doesn't appear on the other...

Do you use Norton's firewall. The ad blocker can cause this. Turn off the adblocker and see if that works.

Cheers

Liam

8. e-liam

e-liam

Just a note to end the thread,

David PMd me to let me know that turning off the Ad Blocker in Norton's firewall has solved his problem.

I'll get this thread marked as resolved.

Cheers

Liam

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165924

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice