1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: involuntary computer shut down

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by riverbar, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. riverbar

riverbar Thread Starter

I am looking for some help again. I am running WXP. my computer seemed to be slowing down (another user had been downloading using MS media player, which I suspect is the cause of my problem) so I began a scan with adaware thinking it was spyware and my computer just shut down mid scan. I have attempted to restart in safe mode and i get shut down before it completes boot up. I tried to go to last working config and had the same result. I then attempted to boot from the windows disc and was still shut down. Any suggestions? :(

2. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

http://forums.techguy.org/t110854.html

If you can get here download HIjack This 1.99.0 do a scan and post the log here

If you can get AD-Aware SE updated and on a disk and try it from there

Is it rebooting or shutting down completely ?

3. riverbar

riverbar Thread Starter

Dust Sailor,
    It is shutting down completely. I can't run any scans or even complete boot up. The shutdown is almost immediate. I am unable to run anything off disc as well. I am really locked down here. I need to find a way to stop the shut down process or i can't do anything. what do you think? :confused:

4. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

Hi Riverbar I will ask a moderator to have a look at your thread Good Luck (y)

5. TsgtUSAF

TsgtUSAF

Your processor maybe over heating and shutting down to prevent damage.

6. riverbar

riverbar Thread Starter

I don't think that is the problem. the fan is running. it is shutting down so qiuckly that i would be surprised if that was the problem. Is there a way to prevent the shutdown at least temporarily so that i can get a peek at cpu usage or run a hijack log? :confused:

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Simply because the fan is running doesn't mean that the cpu can't be overheating.

After allowing it to set and cool down completely, do you have enough time to access the bios setup to see cpu temps?

8. riverbar

riverbar Thread Starter

I understand that i may still be overheating but i have tried it cold, having been off for hours and it shuts down immediately. I cannot access anything. should i open it up and try to boot, would that help it remain cooler?

9. ~Candy~

What's the history here? Could it be shorting out on the side of the case? Could we have a flakey power supply?

10. riverbar

riverbar Thread Starter

I will check out the power supply but i think that is ok, i did hear a little bit of a pop the first time this occured but not at all since (I had kind of dismissed that). How do i check for a short, just take off the cover and look for obvious signs?

11. ~Candy~

Actually, the best way to rule out a short, is to take the motherboard out of the case and hook up the basics and work your way ahead.

12. riverbar

riverbar Thread Starter

I'll see what i can do. I appreciate you time and effort.

13. ~Candy~

You're welcome.

Keep us posted :)

14. sueb_51

sueb_51

I had the same problem with the shutdown!! how do u know if it is overheating??

15. ~Candy~

Well, if you can get to the bios to see the temps, that is usually a good indication.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327951

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice