1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: iomega zip drive - windows 7 / 64

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigsooner, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bigsooner

bigsooner Thread Starter

My wife just had windows 7 / 64 installed on her computer (she had been running XP). She has a Iomega Zip 100 drive installed which worked fine with the XP, however, it does not show up on the computer as a drive. Do I need new drivers? Is it possible it was not reconnected when the computer shop installed windows 7. Additionally, she has a 2nd CD drive that does not show up and is not usuable.

Thanks.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Hopefully, the computer shop did its homework and determined if that Windows XP computer was a good candidate for an upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit.

Assuming it's a factory-brand one and not a custom/home-made one, what is its brand name and model name and model number?

---------------------------------------------------------

3. bigsooner

bigsooner Thread Starter

It was built at a different computer shop about 5 hours from where I now live.
    Sorry I can't provide any additional info.

4. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

I believe tht, unfortunately, you are out of luck here. Support for zip drives finished at win XP, so there are no drivers for win 7, 32 or 64 bit.Iomega are unlikely to release anything new for zip drives now, given the other solutions they have released for win 7.
    There are a lot of (other) forum posts about this, all asking about the same thing, and many possible fixes, none of which, so far, work. I believe a few people are looking at writing software for this, but have had no real success so far for a number of reasons. I also have a zip drive festering away in one of my spares boxes, which I cant stand to throw away and keep hoping that a solution will come up.

Quite surprised that the shop did not pick up on this- old hardware often causes problems one way or another, and they generally check this beforehand. If you did not take the zip drive or tell them it was needed (for an external unit) then all seems fair, I'm afraid.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!