1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: IP address conflict! HELP!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AhrenBa, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router along with a linksys WUSB54G adapter on my Windows 98SE machine. I also have an XP.

I just installed the wireless adapter software on my 98SE and it connects to the router but it can't get an internet connection.

When the adapter tries to connect, there is a little yellow icon in my task tray on the XP telling me that there is an IP address conflict with a system on the network. How in the world do I fix this? Please help.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If both PCs are obtaining their IP configurations from the router, the router is sick. Note any important settings, reset it to factory default settings, and reconfigure it.

Otherwise, maybe you got careless with static IP addresses?

Post an ipconfig /all for each PC to give us more clues.

3. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Wow, this is amazing! It healed itself, I have no clue why it was doing that. Oh well, thanks for the response though. :)

Oh, btw, what is the advantage to having static IP's in your network?

4. Rockn

Rockn

Staic IP's mean they don't change and there won't be any conflicts unless you can't remember the IP assigned to any given PC.

5. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Ok, thank you, but I was was wondering what people use them for? Why don't people just use the router-assigned IP's? Is there an advantage? Thanks

6. valis

valis Moderator

We run static at our company in order to keep a closer eye on network traffic, who's hitting what when, basically. It's a LOT more labor intensive, but when the Powers That Be decide something, so be it. Basically if an unauthorized ip starts broadcasting itself, we know we got issues.

v

7. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Ahhhhhhhh! I see, that makes sense now. Is there any reason for a home user to use static?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "what is the advantage to having static IP's in your network?"

Depends on your network and your needs. In my home, router-based network I use a static IP address for my network-ready all-in-one because I was having lot of trouble with dynamic address when I turned it on after booting computer(s). Otherwise, I see no advantage for me.

If you have a need to have the router forward port(s) you need a static IP for the target PC.

9. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Ah! Ok, cool, thanks guys for the help. I appreciate it.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice