1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: IP address conflict

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ErrorProxy, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ErrorProxy

ErrorProxy Thread Starter

I got back onto my afk computer and there was an error: "Windows has detected an IP address conflict. Another computer on this network has the same IP address as this computer" This happened on all the computers throughout the house except for the one connected to the router through a cable.

I'm sort of glad this happened because I learned a lot from it. Now I know how to configure a wireless router :D

Anyway, my question is.. this happened to every computer in the house that was wireless to the router.. what might have caused this.

2. PK-her0

PK-her0

what make is the router?

3. ErrorProxy

Oh, right. Where are my manners.

Linksys dual-band Wireless-N USB Adapter WUSB600N
    Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router 4 Port WRT54G Ver. 2
    Motorola SB5101 Surfboard Cable Modem

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Repair duplicate IP address on network issue.

1. Turn off everything on the network, ALL the machines and any other network device like network printers and NAS drives.
    2. Turn off the router and modem.
    3. Turn on the modem, wait for a steady data light.
    4. Turn on the router, wait two minutes.
    5. Turn on the network devices and computers, one at a time.

This issue is usually caused by resetting a router without resetting all the network connected devices.

Another issue that will cause duplicate IP addresses is assigning static IP addresses to devices that conflict with the router's DHCP address range. If you require static IP addressed devices on the network, they should be configured to be in the same subnet but outside the address range defined for the DHCP server.

5. ErrorProxy

JohnWill, thanks for those steps but I've already solved the problem by pressing the reset button. I just want to know what might have happened to cause this. So that's it? Thanks.

6. balarbks

balarbks

Hi,
    This happens normally when the DHCP server is not properly functioning.
    Lets a router X which you own ,can connect upto 6 devices(max capacity).If the DHCP is not working,then you might face the following issues.
    1.ip address conflict.
    2 devices connected to router, but unable to browse website,etc
    3 . any new devices connected to network. the existing devices disconnect

the best solution is to assign static ip address inside the router.(gui page)

RESET THE ROUTER IS THE SOLUTION. BUT RESETTING THE ROUTER 'N' TIMES THE ROUTER IS AFFECTED.

THIS HAPPENS ONLY IN ROUTER NOT IN MODEM

"COMMENTS ARE WELCOME"

7. ErrorProxy

"Comments are welcome"? Waiting for someone to say something to you?

8. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Umm...Negatory. Large/Enterprise deployments routinely use DHCP and don't have any major issues. DHCP is typically used for workstations and printers where as statics are defined for devices like servers where address changes can be detrimental to accessing any hosted services.

Typically when there are IP conflicts with DHCP is due to people/admins not properly releasing a dynamically obtained IP address via the ipconfig /release (Windows) command or the DHCP lease times are set too large.

9. balarbks

balarbks

a little elaborate comparing home vs business [:)]

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What zx10guy said applies equally as well to home networks. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920108

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice