1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: IP Address

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by totum, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. totum

totum Guest Thread Starter

I am working on my sisters computer which is a HP Compaq dx2000MT with XP Home SP2. When I tried to connect to the internet, I get a message telling me to "renew my IP Address". I have tried opening command prompt and typing "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" with nothing happening. I have also tried pulling the power from the cable modem for 30 seconds and plugging back in with no results either. Any info on how this happened and how to resolve it would be great! Thanks

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Try this and then the release and renew

Reset Windows XP TCP/IP

You can reset the Winsock And TCP/IP stacks in XP SP2 by doing this:
    Start > Run: cmd and at the prompt enter each line:
    netsh winsock reset catalog
    netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
    You will need to reboot afterwards.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It would help to know how you connect to the internet and what equipment you have. Modem, router, etc., make and model.

4. totum

I am running a cable modem (economy) using the ethernet port. No router. The modem is a Motorola SURFboard, model # SB5101. It is normally hooked up to my HP Pavilion
    a1700n. I am trying to use it to update another right now.

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Have you checked to make sure DHCP is enabled on your sister's computer? Also click the adapter in Network Connections and choose repair.

6. totum

Figured it out. Had to unplug the modem for 30 seconds then plug it back in. That reset the IP Address for her computer. Thanks to everyone who replied!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591280

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice