1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: IP Camera Web Access Domain Name?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Surfpipe, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Surfpipe

Surfpipe Thread Starter

Does any one know the easiest way to access an IP camera remotely over the internet? I have a domain name I can use, by the way if that helps. I can see the camera's image on the LAN, but I'm not sure how to configure things to access from a web brower on a remote compjuter over the internet. Do I really need a static IP, or is there a sweet alternative via dynamic, domain name, etc.? Thank you.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Can you describe the internet connection used for the location of the camera?

Single or multiple public IP addresses?

Static or Dynamic IP public addresses?

What modems and routers are between the camera and the internet?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I use my IP connected camera with DynDNS service, and I just port forward the proper port through the router and I can connect to the camera.

4. Surfpipe

Surfpipe Thread Starter

Are you using the free service, or did you have to pay for an account? Thanks.

5. JohnWill

I use the free service, works fine for mapping a URL to my dynamic IP address. :)

6. Surfpipe

Surfpipe Thread Starter

Excellent -- it sounds like I'm on the right road. Is the URL a domain you own, or is it a domain assigned to you by this service? Would you mind giving me the basic steps on how to forward the port through the router? Thank you very much.

7. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    The free services usually let you pick your own sub-domain name to attach to one of the domain names that they own. For example, here is a list of domain names available through DynDns.com:

http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/domains.html

You would need to check if your desired sub-domain name is not all ready in use for a given domain name. For example, you could check if surfpipe.gotdns.com was available and claim it for yourself if available. Note that you would not legally have any ownership of the"surfpipe.gotdns.com" domain name.

Have the camera configured to have a static IP address on your LAN or have the router reserve a specific DHCP LAN address for the camera based on its MAC address.

Check the camera documentation to find out which ports it uses for viewing and control and if the ports use TCP or UDP. The camera may also allow you to change its default port assignments.

Configure the router to forward given port numbers on the WAN side to the camera ports on the LAN side. Port numbers on the WAN side do not need to match the camera port numbers on the LAN side.

If your broadband modem is running NAT, you will also need to configure port forwarding on it as well. If the modem is running as a bridge, you should not need to worry about port forwarding on the modem.

If your router supports Dynamic DNS services, you can use it keep your public IP address up to date with the service. Otherwise you will need to keep a computer on your LAN turned on and running a Dynamic DNS updater program.

8. JohnWill

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703167

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice