1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: iPad video display gotchas

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by pcguy9441, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Can someone please explain the rules of viewing streaming TV video clips on an iOS device? I know something about Apple not supporting Adobe, etc. is there a workaround? What are the rules and are they hard and fast?

For example, this ew.com site

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/02/10/saturday-night-live-recap-justin-bieber/

just shows a big black box with no "play" arrow. on the PC it works fine (not a fan BTW, just an example).

Watching TV clips via the NBC iPad app works fine. What are the rules and is there a work around for video using non Apple software?

Would I have avoided this grief with an Android device? Too late now.

2. Headrush

Headrush

If it's Adobe Flash based, it won't work.

Flash support is changing on Android also: http://www.pcworld.com/article/260901/android_flash_player_rip_how_to_get_it_now_that_its_gone.html

Edit: If you iOS device is jailbroken, I think there was an app for Flash called Frash or something like that but I can't tell you how good it is and/or what performance hit your battery will take without hardware video support.

Edit 2: Appear they are a few apps that might work around for some Flash sites, puffin and photon and rover.

Can't say how well they work, or what each exactly supports, but something you can google.

3. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! for now, problem solved, however. Apparently if a video does not play, you need to power off/power on the device, What's with that? takes me back to the Win98 days of rebooting to get the machine to work. Is it common to have to cycle power to get the the unit back on track? it's a new iPad3/4, 16meg.

Thanks for the browser tips, Photon is looking good with a free 2 week trial. But for now, don't think I'm seeing Flash problems, or just haven't encountered any Flash videos yet.

4. Headrush

Headrush

No, as far as I know I have never heard of such a thing before.

Is it every Flash site?
    Does it happen every time?
    Can you link to a specific page where this occurs so I can test on my iPads?

Can you explain a little more by what happens that makes you need to power down?
    For example, Does just Safari freezes, does entire phone freezes, can you access the application panel to shutdown Safari instead of restarting?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!