1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: iPhone drops WiFi signal

Discussion in 'Archive: Phones & Handheld Devices' started by Will142828, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Will142828

Will142828 Thread Starter

I am a new iPhone user. I can get my iPhone to pick up the Wi Fi signal from my PC(Windows XP SP2) and Thomson (o2) router with netgear Wi Fi adaptor, but it drops the Wi Fi signal and goes on to the slower GPS signal almost as soon as I start using it on the Wi Fi connection. I see what appears to be a similar problem was posted in May '09 but the I could not understand the reply and do not think it aswers my problem.

I'd appreciate any advice that can be offered.

Will

2. whitbirch

whitbirch

sorry no advice but mines is doing it aswell, wont go on 3g just a little circle

3. Will142828

Good to have company! If I cant sort it with help from Tech Guy, I'll try going to the Apple Genius bar, but I can't do that in the next few days. Will

4. oksteve

oksteve

I suspect its a settings thing although not an expert on the iphone. I did hear that you can set your internet to prefer wi fi before 3g and vice versa!

5. cuttlefish

cuttlefish

First Name:
    Ian
    Go to SETTINGS, scroll down to GENERAL and then RESET and then choose RESET NETWORK SETTINGS.

The phone will reboot and usually connects to your PC's WI FI fine after that.

Also worth resetting the PC's router - via the little push in button on the back of the unit.

I fought mine for months with the same problem but once I got onto this fix, it is no longer a problem.

I also chucked out the crappy NETGEAR router and bought a new DLINK with the extended range capability.

6. Will142828

Thanks, it sounds as if your suggestions should do the trick. However, when I click on Reset Network Settings, I get a warning that it will reset to factory default. When I have all the data together to input the settings, I may give it a go.

Thanks, do appreciate your advice.

Will

7. 30-abc

30-abc

Try re-seting the network settings and then the phone. If that doesn't work try go to rhea apple store and they will test it on their router if its the same problem I'm sure they will switch it for you.

8. Will142828

Thanks to Cuttlefish et al: that did the trick. Will142828

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/911659

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice