1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: iPod Updater Killed My iPod!!!

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by AlexTs, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlexTs

AlexTs Thread Starter

Hello everyone! I plugged in my iPod to my new iMac G5. OSX said there was an update - I ran the update, but an "error" window popped up. It closed itself before I could get a good look. When the updater quit, it launched again and updated without the error message. The iPod stayed frozen with the black background/silver apple logo for quite some time, then shut off. Now it won't turn on, and nothing happens when I plug it into the computer! Help please! I've tried a reset, as well as plugging it into different computers.

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks in Advance

iPod 5G Video / Mac OS X 10.4.7

2. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Hi there AlexTs :)

When you say reset, do you mean a reset on the iPod? Any way, have you tried taking out the batteries to the iPod, leaving them out for abit and then putting them back in? And also what is this update to speak of? And i aslo presume that you have plugged it into you Windows XP System?

3. AlexTs

AlexTs Thread Starter

What the [????]? The battery in the iPod is not removable (at least not by anyone looking to keep their warranty intact). Also, I said in my first post that "I plugged in my iPod to my new iMac G5. OSX said there was an update..." (No, it's not plugged into Windows XP). Anyways, it turns out many people are having problems with this most recent update. The only thing left to try is to let the battery drain (which can take days), and then try to reset it again (by holding down a special button combination). Then I'll have to give Apple a call. Thanks for the response.

4. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Hi again! :)

Ok. Sorry, i didnt realise that the battery is not removable. What i asked is did you try to plug into XP? And how can you let the battery drain if it doesnt even turn on?

5. AlexTs

AlexTs Thread Starter

Just leaving it sitting there (according to apple) supposedly drains the battery when it's in this frozen state. I've tried plugging into all kinds of USB ports - a ton of other 5G Black 30GB iPod owners are having this same problem when they update. On OSX and WinXP.

6. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Ahh ok. Silly apple.

7. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Leaving it sitting there? That will take AGES... :rolleyes: (n) Apple.

8. AlexTs

AlexTs Thread Starter

I'm calling AppleCare tomorrow at 6 (when they open). I'd rather deal with this little problem with my iPod than have to daily clean out a peecee's malware. Still, if I have to ship this thing into them... grrrrrrr...

9. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

mmm... You have malware?

10. AlexTs

AlexTs Thread Starter

Nope, I have iMac G5. Norton found 6,731 viruses on my neighbor's HP last week. Very nice (and also unusable).

11. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

"Norton found 6,731 viruses on my neighbor's HP last week. Very nice (and also unusable)."

:eek:HOLY . Did he clean them? :eek:

Stupid viruses :rolleyes:

12. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Would you like anymore asstance on this topic? Or has Apple solved your problem?

13. AlexTs

AlexTs Thread Starter

I haven't called them yet. They're still not open. I'll leave the topic open and post updates instead of making a new thread.

14. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Ok then.

15. AlexTs

AlexTs Thread Starter

Just got of the phone with Apple... "Go to a genius bar." Very nice... and what are THEY going to do? They certainly aren't going to exchange my iPod on the spot! Why must I drive THREE hours to the Apple store just so a "Genius" (of which I am highly skeptical, having worked in IT many a year)?

I won't be able to head to the big city until Tuesday; hopefully it will fix itself by then. Oh, you also can't make reservations any further in advance than 24 hours... so I have to remember to make the reservation on Monday. Yay.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice