1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: IrFanView Cropping

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jdn, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jdn

jdn Thread Starter

The cropping feature of IrFanView does not work or I am not using it properly. I am using version 4.35. I recently uninstalled and reinstalled the program, but still can't get the cropping feature to work. In the following tests that I performed, I started with a 2048x1536x24BPP photo [4:3 ratio] and attempted to crop it to obtain a photo with a 3:2 ratio. I initially put the photo, named x.jpg in My Documents, and opened IrFanView program. I performed various operations the results of which are reported below. In all cases files were created which appeared in the My Document Folder and in the Thumbnail listing of the IrFanView program.

Test 1
    FILE> Thumbnails > My Documents > Double clicked x.jpg [Photo appears in main window]
    Edit > Create Custom Crop Selection > Select 3:2 > Save and apply to image > Held Control key and clicked dragged to obtain an 819x 546 rectangular box > File > Save as > typed Test 1 > Save

Results of test
    Opened Test 1.jpg in My Documents with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer [ no cropping]
    In IrFanView Thumbnail Listing, Text 1.jpg is shown with no cropping. When double clicked it is shown in main window with no cropping.

Test 2
    FILE> Thumbnails > My Documents > Double clicked x.jpg [Photo appears in main window]
    Edit > Create Custom Crop Selection > Select 3:2 > Save and apply to image > Held Control key and clicked dragged to obtain an 819x 546 rectangular box > Move curser inside box [+] and left clicked to obtain zoomed image File > Save as > typed Test 2 > Save

Results of test
    Opened Test 2.jpg in My Documents with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer [ no cropping]
    In IrFanView Thumbnail Listing, Text 2.jpg is shown with no cropping. When double clicked it is shown in main window with no cropping.

Test 3
    Edit > Create Custom Crop Selection > Select 3:2 > Save and apply to image > Held Control key and clicked dragged to obtain an 819x 546 rectangular box > Move curser inside box [+] and left clicked to obtain zoomed image Edit > Capture Visible Window area > Save as > typed Test 3 > Save

Results of test
    Opened Test 1.jpg in My Documents with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer [ cropped photo is shown]
    In IrFanView Thumbnail Listing, Text 3.jpg is shown with cropping. When double clicked it is shown in main window with cropping. However, the cropping in all instances is with a 4:3 ratio, not a 3:2 ratio.

Test 4
    File > Open with an external editor > Picasa3 > Cropped in Picasa3 with 4x6 > Saved File in My Documents as Test 4

Results of test
    Opened Test 4.jpg in My Documents with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer [ cropped photo is shown]
    In IrFanView Thumbnail Listing, Text 4.jpg is shown with cropping. When double clicked it is shown in main window with cropping. In all instances the Ratio is 3:2.

Test 5
    Edit > Create Custom Crop Selection > Select 3:2 > Save and apply to image > Held Control key and clicked dragged to obtain an 819x 546 rectangular box Options > JPG Lossless Crop > Start

Results of test
    Opened Test 5.jpg in My Documents with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer [ cropped photo is shown]
    In IrFanView Thumbnail Listing, Text 5.jpg is shown with NO cropping. When double clicked it is shown in main window with cropping. In all instances the Ratio is 3:2.

Note: When further editing was performed on Test 5.jpg and saved, it then appeared in the Thumbnail listing as cropped.

Can anyone explain to me why the basic cropping operations of this program don't seem to work or what I am doing wrong in my procedures.

2. AtlBo

AtlBo

OK...there are 2 dialogs on the custom crop interface.

First you have the aspect ratio of your crop on the top left. Second you have the size of your crop on the right. Basically if you want a picture 300 wide from a picture that is 400x400 and you want it in 3:2 aspect ratio, select the 3:2 from the first dialog on the left, then in the right side dialog add the 300 into the lower x box, leaving the first x box 0. You will notice the Y value will be added automatically into the Y box. This will work in reverse, too, if you add the y value first.

Now press "Save and apply to image". A box will show up that is the correct size for your crop. To move the box, right click and drag it to where you want it. If you want to run this same crop on a number of pictures, with the crop box set where you want it on the picture, open the program menu Edit->Create a custom crop selection again. Just press the "Save values and exit" over to the right. This will preserve your aspect ratio and placement of the box choices in the dialog for use on any picture you open to crop in the future until you change the settings. You can still move the box on the picture with a right click or resize it if you would prefer to crop to taste for a particular picture.

Hope this helps...

3. jdn

jdn Thread Starter

Thanks for the response AltBo. I did what you said and got the same results as before. In your response you go up to the point of getting the rectangular box located in the image. What is the step by step procedure to follow from that point forward to obtain a cropped image with the specified ratio i.e. how do you save what is inside the rectangle. That seems to be where my problem is. If I go to File> Save As, I get the original image saved. If I make use of the Capture Visual Window Area, I get a cropped image but it has a 4:3 ratio. The only thing I found that works is to use the JPG Lossless Crop.

4. AtlBo

AtlBo

OK...once you have the box where you want it, next select from the main program menu Edit->Crop Selection. It's down a little bit lower than the "Create a custom crop selection".

Then just File->Save As...

I guess it would be nice if Irfanview had a right click menu on the picture for cropping and other features...best a customizable one! Maybe version 5...

5. jdn

jdn Thread Starter

OK That worked. I think you have solved my problem and I am very grateful. I am going to continue playing around with the program and it's very comforting to realize that there are people out there like you who are willing and able to lend a hand when needed. Thank you again Jack

6. AtlBo

AtlBo

Glad to help...just post another thread if you have any questions...:)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice