1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Irfanview- Need wallet photo from digital image

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by letchworth, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. letchworth

letchworth Thread Starter

I'm sure this is easy for someone-- but I'm not sure how to accomplish it.

I have a digital image of a family member that is currently 800 X 600.

Unfortunately, the local drug store machine gives two choices- $.22 for one 4" X 5" or several wallet sized pictures on an 8" X 10" for $6.00. Yes, I am cheap- but that doesn't make sense to me.

In the past I have inserted a digital image into a Publisher document and copied a space which included the properly sized photo and a surrounding space- pasted into Irfanview and saved the new digital file to print one wallet on a 4" X 5"- but I have the feeling there has to be a better way to do it??

Actually, what I would like is two wallets on a 4" X 5" that I can cut apart. I realize that 800 X 600 isn't super quality, but it is a digital image that is readily available and should be sufficient to show off a wallet photo. And I think a better solution than my crude Publisher attempt. (This is not a "one of" project- but something I can use again and again and is a cheap solution to having fresh photos without wasting money or photo paper).

Your help would be greatly appreciated
    letchworth

2. ChuckE

ChuckE

What is it you want? Since you already use IrfanView, and IrfanView can change the image you want to nearly any size you want, or you can alternately tell IrfanView to print to any size that will fit on one sheet.

So I ask, what is it you want? Two identical images? print it twice.
    Two identical images on one sheet? make a second image and make a Contact sheet of those two images.

Is it something else you want?

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

See Irfanview .. Image > Create Panorama .. this is not what I would call a Panorama ..
    But you can make multiple Side by Side .. or Over n Under .. photos.

You could size one photo .. then make a picture .. (Panorama in Irfanview terms) with two on one page (for example)

If you need to add a border of any color or size - on any side - to do some sizing or for decoration ..
    see Irfanview ... Image > Change Canvas size.

To make a foursome (2 sides and 2 over x under) ....
    You'll have to make a new side x side .. then use them to make the Over x Under

:D you have my Email address .. if you need any Photoshop work done.

4. letchworth

Thanks, Noyb- however, my problem is that those machines want to fill up the page with whatever you give them--- getting two on a page isn't the hard part--- it is getting one or two on a page that the machine doesn't try to enlarge to fill the whole 4" X 5".

I think your plan would work if I had a digital file of the proper amount of blank space to put into the panorama- but by just putting two or four copies of the digital image together- the machine tries to fill the whole space with the photos.

A wallet sized picture is approx. 2 3/8" X 2 3/4". Too big for 2 + 2 up. Too small to print 2+ without some filler material.

I tried printing just one on a 4 X 5 and the machine just blew it up to fill the whole space-- (no "wallet" choice on the inexpensive machine-- I have to fool it into thinking that my new digital file actually fills the 4 X 5 space without any enlarging.)

Any thoughts? Thanks
    letchworth

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

YES .. That's why I mentioned adding a border.
    I was in the process of working up some numbers ...
    Don't you mean a 4x6 drug store print ?? .. And a wallet size of 3.5x2.5 ??
    My wife is my Wal-Mart print expert .. but I don't want to discuss numbers with her :D

If I guess correctly .. you only need to size the height or width by adding a border ..
    then the drug store will center to fit.

I'm only half way thru my second morning cup .. so these numbers may have some caffeine deficiencies ..
    But here's what I had so far ..
    An 800x600 pixel picture would print at a size of 4x3 inches .. And twins would print 4x6 inches.
    Just tell Irfan to make a side x side Panorama and then the drug store should be able to print it on a 4x6 print.

2 Wallets at a size of 2(3.5 x 2.5) would be 3.5 x 5 inch double wide print.
    To fit this on a 4 x 6 .. you would have to add a border of 1/2 inch at the top/bottom .. and 1/4 inches on the sides.

800 pixels printed at 3.5 inches would be 320 pixels per inch.
    So, ½ inch would be 160 pixels .. and ¼ inch would be 80 pixels.
    to be completed later ???

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

The internet tells me that Wal-Mart or Walgreen’s prints 4x6 .. and Wallet photos are 2.5 x 3.5 inches.

A Photo that’s 800x600 will not print 3.5 x 2.5 - because the aspect ratio is wrong.

Assuming pictures in a portrait mode .. or rotated landscape .. when printed 3.5 tall, it will print 2.625 wide.
    When printed 2.5 wide, it will print 3.333 tall.

It might be easier to print these at a width of about 2.5 inches and let you scissors do the cropping.
    Using the Irfan custom crop tool will be a little trouble.

600 pixels wide printed at 2.5 inches will be printed at 240 pixels per inch.
    Adding 4 borders to the 2 photos - to total 1 inch (for a 6 inch print) will be a side border(s) of 60 pixels.

I took a picture of our Cat at his last visit to the Vet for a checkup … 1st attachment
    Added a side border of 60 pixel and 50 pixels top n bottom .. 2nd attachment
    Then made a side x side panorama … 3rd attachment.
    these attachments have been downsized to attach here

When this is printed at a full width of 6 inches .. each photo will be 2.5 wide and 3.33 inches tall.

Is this about what you’re looking for ??

Attached Files:

• 111.jpg
      111.jpg
      File size:
      39.2 KB
      Views:
    • 222.jpg
      222.jpg
      File size:
      35.4 KB
      Views:
    • 333.jpg
      333.jpg
      File size:
      46.6 KB
      Views:
  7. letchworth

I'm not sure if I believe the eye-chart, but I think you have solved my problem.

I'll give it a whirl after lunch and get back to you

It looks great! Thanks
    letchworth

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I asked if I could take her picture and described how I wanted to her pose.
    After she quit laughing .. she said yes ... That one is now a 8x10 in her office.
    You'd be surprised how many "don't get it"

She also wanted an unedited version of our 22 pound Buddy

Attached Files:

• 223.jpg
      223.jpg
      File size:
      135.7 KB
      Views:
  9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Speaking of Irfanview and my blue eyed Buddy ..
    want some customized Irfanview Icons ???
    XP only .. Vista has forgot there's a difference in the display of, and the purpose for, Icons.

Attached Files:

10. ChuckE

ChuckE

Using the IrfanView "Panorama" (and I agree, it is really just a side-by-side left/right or up/down) does not put any gap between the images. Not really what I would want if I wanted to cut out two images. Sure, I could fill with a gap of white image in the creation, but that is clumsy.

Instead, when you make a Contact sheet, you can adjust how many images you want horizontally and vertically (like 2), you can adjust how many pixels you want as the gap, and for the margins. You can adjust what you want for a DPI value.

Once you create this 2 image contact sheet (and play around till you get it just right, you don't have to print to play) then save the result.
    When you go to print you just tell IrfanView to print what ever dimensions YOU WANT, you can specify the output size, on whatever size paper you are using. Don't just settle for the defaults.

There is no reason that IrfanView can't print exactly what you want.

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Hey Chuck .. I didn't know Irfan would make a contact sheet .. Thanks
    I had to get "help" but I found it in the Thumbnail viewer.

Letchworth .. looks like you'll have to make a duplicate copy so you can select two images.

A quick pass thru - and it looks like these sheet settings will make a print that will print the same as my manual "hard way" ..
    at your local drug store.
    Assuming your wallets are 800x600 to start with.

Attached Files:

12. ChuckE

ChuckE

I really love IrfanView (is it wrong for a guy, a heterosexual guy, mind you, to love a software?) but like what some people complain about, it can be confusing. Some things are just a bit more difficult to know about, or are a bit buried. Some people here have opened my eyes as to what other features are in IrfanView, that I was just not aware of.

Like I said, I love IrfanView. And thanks to the people here for those and other tips, plus a BIG THANK YOU to Irfan Skiljan for creating and making IrfanView available.

13. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I normally jump to Photoshop for the tricky stuff .. So I've missed out on the finer points of Irfan...
    Even though I used Irfan ever since my w98 days .. That was back when you could Email him directly.

My Screen Shots have been made with a new Irfan shortcut I made recently ..
    Just press Alt+PrtScn (or PrtScr) and hit my Paste shortcut ..

I also have some shorts that run my HP scanner from Irfan .. if you're interested

14. letchworth

ChuckE & Noyb;
    Thanks, guys- I really appreciate all your feedback--- I have been caught up in working with the steps Noyb shared-- and have come up with a very workable process (workable in that it is repeatable at the drugstore printer, every time and with different sized originals). Thanks, Noyb- you're the best.

ChuckE- I want to spend some time next week with your contact sheet process-- It looks like an automatic way of doing what I am doing. I just realized I never really answered your question of what I am looking for-- basically two wallet photos on a 29 cent sheet at the local drug chain (although their software allows you to fill up the print with about any portion of the original file, my need is to fill up the space with enough filler to keep the pictures 2.5" x 3.33"). I think I'm there, but will look at your alternative path

thanks guys-- you have been very helpful
    letchworth

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!