1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Irfanview Scanning

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by lschul, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I struggle with scanning, HP's software is pretty bad in my opinion. A member on here sent me a link to scan from irfanview and it works well. I just scanned two pages and wanted both pages to be contained in one document rather than two separate files. I selected "Multipage Images" in Irfanview and tried to save it as a PDF to the desktop but I can't find it. How do I easily scan multiple pages into one saved file? I don't know why scanning is such an issue...

2. ChuckE

ChuckE

As far as I know, IrfanView will not scan directly to multi-page PDF files.
    Instead you first create some scans into some individual image files, then you use the command:
    Options>Multi-page images>Create Multi-page PDF (which requires you have the proper plug-in installed - and if you are like most users, you just get all of them at one time) to then assemble the list of individual images you want included.

When you have done all that you just click on the [Create PDF image] button.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Have you tried using Irfanview's Image >> Create Panorama Image .. To combine the scans into one Image.
    I'd probably prefer this method since it gives me a chance to edit (crop) the individual scans first.

4. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

ChuckE I did that and was able to save, but I couldn't find my finished file on the desktop even when I designated it there. Not sure I need the plug in or not, I will have to look and see if I can figure that out unless you know. NoyB that worked but it made it a long and small image, I think I would like to get them into PDF pages. Any ideas on the plug ins and how to know if i have or need them?

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    If you can't figure out a better way ..
    You can assemble multiPage pdfs from individual pdfs with PDFSam

6. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

Thanks Noyb, do you know how to check and see if I have the plugins installed or how do you add them? Also, I thought that function was working but when I designated a place to save it, it didn't show up there...

7. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I downloaded PDFSAM and when I try to open it I get an error that says I have no suitable JRE version on my system. What did I do wrong?

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Don't know .. other than installing/updating Java

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Are you running the New Version of Irfanview 4.28 ??
    Did you install All Plugins ...

I'm a bit confused ..
    I think that to do this in Irfanview as a MultiPage pdf will probably require a special Sheet feeding Scanner.

10. ChuckE

ChuckE

I have nothing more special loaded than IrfanView 4.28 and the PlugIns of that same version. I then tried to create a PDF from several different existing images, and was easily able to do so, a couple of different times.

As to where the resulting PDF file was placed it depends upon the location specified in the very first window that pops up when you select the Options>Multi-page images>Create Multi-page PDF command.

I made a capture of that window. I would expect you will NOT see this window if you do NOT have the proper plugin installed. In other words, if you do see this following window you must have the proper plugin. Check the capture below:

Attached Files:

11. ChuckE

ChuckE

I just looked through my installed PlugIns for IrfanView v4.28, and again, all I have are the provided PlugIn set for IrfanView 4.28. The only PlugIn that mentions PDF, at all, is:

PlugIn: IMPDF.DLL
    Version: 0.78
    Info/Formats: PDF Export - PDF

I had no trouble in creating a multi-page PDF, and I had no issue in locating where the resulting file was placed.

12. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

It works now, perfectly...not sure what I did but I am good to go. THANKS!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!