1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] irq conflict with my modem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fenderchamp, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Thread Starter

I have a Motorola sm56 speakerphone/fax modem which was working just fine with win98se, then I installed xp and windows does not detect my modem. It's installed, but a query thru my device manager indicates there may be an irq conflict!

I need help!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Can you post your IRQ listing....start, run, msinfo32, ok, hardware, IRQs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

3. fenderchamp

Thanks for responding...here is what you asked for!

IRQ 0 System timer OK
    IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
    IRQ 3 Communications Port (COM2) OK
    IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
    IRQ 5 Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller OK
    IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
    IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
    IRQ 9 Video Controller (VGA Compatible) OK
    IRQ 9 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
    IRQ 9 Creative AudioPCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM) OK
    IRQ 11 PCI Simple Communications Controller OK
    IRQ 12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse OK
    IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
    IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK

4. ~Candy~

What IRQ is it trying to get? Does it show up in device manager with an exclamation mark? Do you have drivers for it?

5. fenderchamp

Yes, I have drivers for it. It is installed and my devise manager says it's working properly but when I do a query on it, it will not respond. I get this error message:
    "The modem failed to respond. Make sure that it is properly connected & turned on. If it is an internal modem or is connected, verify that the interrupt for the port is properly set." It is an internal modem - how do I verify that the interrupt for the port is properly set?

6. ~Candy~

How is it being identified in device manager?

7. fenderchamp

Motorola SM56 Voice Modem
    Device type: Modems
    Manufacturer: Motorola Inc.

8. rockinmale

rockinmale

The first question that i would like to ask......
    Is this a clean install of xp or an upgrade from a previous os?
    The reason i ask is that upgrading from a previous version causes more headaches than doing a clean install of XP.

That certainly is a hardware conflict. You have more than enough stuff trying to use irq 9. We will need to free up some irq's to get this to work right. Video and sound cannot use the same irq.

Second question......
    Do you have anything connected to serial ports 1 or 2? If not these can be disabled in your bios under I/O configurations. This will free up 2 irq's. Also if your not using a printer you can disable the printer port as well. That will also free up another irq.

The xp drivers for this modem are here.......
    http://www.motorola.com/softmodem/data-fax-voice.htm#DFVwinXP

If you dont know how to get into your bios settings. When you first turn on your system. Some systems say hit (x) to enter setup. (x) stands for the key you need to hit to enter setup. Every system is different it could be these keys. delete, f2, f10.

Give these a shot and see what happens......Dont forget to post back:D

Good luck
    rockinmale:cool:

9. fenderchamp

Question 1 - I intended to do a clean install of XP, however, my system would not allow me to boot from the xp disc(I even tried using a 98 startup floppy so it could load a cd driver but that didn't work either). So, I had a clean hard drive(after formating) and installed a simple (limited) installation of win98 then installed xp over it.
    Question 2 - I do have something connected to serial port 1 but it's not working(I don't think it's compatible with xp(scanner/keyboard)), Also, I am using a printer, but it's connected through a USB port.
    I just downloaded the drivers you posted(thanks) and I'll see about disabling comm 1 & 2 in the bios. - thanks

10. ~Candy~

IRQ 11 PCI Simple Communications Controller OK

It appears that is the way it is showing up in device manager, can you double check? You aren't talking about the modem diagnostics instead, are you?

And what XP do you have, the upgrade disk, then? Or are you dual booting?

11. fenderchamp

AcaCandy
    Ok, in my device manager there is a pci simple communications controller showing with a yellow question mark and an exclamation point. When I right click it and choose properties, I get: The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

In my devise manager, it also shows (under modems) Motorola SM56 voice modem. There is no question mark or exclamation point. If I right click on that, I get: (under the general tab in device status)This device is working properly.

If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter.

Above that is the information I sent earlier:
    Motorola SM56 Voice Modem
    Device type: Modems
    Manufacturer: Motorola Inc.

12. fenderchamp

AcaCandy

The xp I have is the full pro version.

13. fenderchamp

AcaCandy

I don't know what dual booting is!

14. ~Candy~

So you chose to install XP, and was warned that the other operating system would be wiped, correct? Or something along those lines?

15. rockinmale

rockinmale

Im not sure if im too late on this, but at least you will know what to do for a future reference. This will do a clean install of XP.

You can create a xp bootdisk by downloading the xp boot disk set for what version of xp you are going to install. There are some system that will not boot from the cd and hence we have the xp bootdisks!

It's easy.....download it right to the desktop. Then just stick in a floppy and double click on the program and it will create your bootdisk. You will probably need 4 floppy disks.

Here's the link.....
    www.bootdisk.com

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice