1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is 4GB RAM in Vista possible with nForce 680i SLI?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChimpanzeeUK, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ChimpanzeeUK

ChimpanzeeUK Thread Starter

Hi

I have 4GB of RAM in my PC, but obviously Vista is only seeing about 2/3 of that. I've heard it's possible with some motherboards to do some wizardry and get vista to see all of it. However (as you've probably guessed by the use of the word "wizardry") I don't know what this feature/method is called and therefore don't know is my mobo has it.

Does anyone know if my new mobo (see below) can utilise more of my memory and if so, could you point me in the direction of some more info?

Thanks!!

2. ChimpanzeeUK

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The answer is yes you can however it can and sometimes does induce problems with drivers. The real fix is to use a 64bit version of vista however you can fix this by adding the /PAE switch. Here is a MSKB article that gives you more info.

4. ChimpanzeeUK

Thanks for your help.

The article suggests that the problem is fixed in SP1. Does that only refer to the 64 bit version or will it be fixed in 32 bit as well? If so, I might just be patient and wait for the service pack.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, it is not fixed. What it does is report the actual installed amount of ram ie 4gig. It still has the 32bit limit unless you force PAE. It is pretty easy to do. You just open a cmd prompt [in admin mode] and type
    BCDEdit /set PAE forceenable

BTW I would either make an image file of your system OR make a restore point before doing any of the above. Remember you CAN have driver problems with PAE enabled.

6. ChimpanzeeUK

Thanks. I'll back everything up and give that a go!

Thanks very much!!

7. ChimpanzeeUK

Actually, I should probably ask what the command is to go back if this doesn't work and system restore fails for some reason or if i run into driver problems further down the line?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would have to look it up and I am leaving right now. I would think it is forcedisable however you can check the cmd help to check.

9. Foxy_Uk

Foxy_Uk

I'm watching this post with interest I as I too have nearly the same set up on an EVGA 680i SLI motherboard.

I would like to know why I only get a Vista Performance score of 4.7 when I have 4 x 1gb sticks of Corsair DDr2 800mhz of RAM?

[​IMG]

Sorry, I don't intend to hijack this thread but thought we might both learn from the similar issues!

10. ChimpanzeeUK

crjdriver, unfortunately your suggestion hasn't worked. I ran that command from the command line and it hasn't made any difference.

It did report that it sucessfully excecuted the command though.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again for your help!

11. reapcorp

reapcorp

If you have windows vista 32bit, you will only be able to see 2.75, you will need to be using windows vista 64bit in order to take advantage of the full 4gigs, unless you want to mess around with the OS
    32bit max =4GB but will only see 2.75 or if you are lucky 3.5, its a software problem.
    64bit max =120GB

Currently I have 4GB of RAM in Windows Vista ultimate 64 bit, I had the same problem under Windows XP so I switched to a 64 bit OS because I did not want to mess with my OS.

If you still want to see your full 4GB here is instructions from Microsoft.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=237740

12. ChimpanzeeUK

I would consider upgrading to 64 bit but it's a bit of a dog for compatibility. crjdriver suggests that it's doable on 32 bit?

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you run the cmd prompt as admin? Not an account as admin, you must right click the cmd icon and select run as admin.

Next did you run bcdedit and see if the switch was added?

BTW vista 64bit has fewer and fewer problems every day with compatibility. Unless there are no drivers for your hardware, just about the only things you cannot run are old 16bit apps.

14. reapcorp

reapcorp

Yes, you can enable your computer to see the full 4 GB of RAM but I think you already tried but go the same results.

I am going to try to do this with my windows xp
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=237740

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Your instructions are for xp, 2003 server, etc. They have no validity for vista since vista does not use the boot.ini file the article references. In addition once sp1 is loaded for vista 32bit, you will "See" 4+gig of ram. The same limitation still applies however in the use of the ram. For a 4gig system, you will use 3.2 or so; unless you edit the BCD file and add the /PAE switch.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704581

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice