1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is 64-bit Win 7 okay on non multi-core system?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DiGiTY, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DiGiTY

DiGiTY Thread Starter

I'm debating whether to install 64 bit or 32 bit version of Windows 7 on a relatively old system (Dell Dimension E510 with 3.0 GHz P4, 64-bit capable, 2 MB L2 cache). The user is mainly going to use it for browsing the web, iTunes, Facebook, the usual. I know 64-bit Win 7 and Vista has already started to hit the consumer mainstream so I guess I don't have to worry about driver and software incompatibility and stability for her. I do worry that since the CPU may be a first generation consumer 64-bit capable CPU and not a dual-core that she won't she much gain in performance over 32-bit.

Any ideas on this?

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

The processor is certainly fast enough but how much RAM does the computer have?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

It should work all right, but why? The things you mentioned don't require much "performance".

32-bit applications still run in a 64-bit system.

4. DiGiTY

DiGiTY Thread Starter

I don't know yet, 2 GB of memory minimum, 4 GB if it works with some other memory I have laying around.

@Elvandil: my thing is if it can handle it then why not max it out to it's full potential regardless of it's intended use, especially with old computers like this... get as much life out of it as you can... I guess I just answered my own question... 64-bit it is...

Thanks everyone

5. antech

antech Banned

It will be OK
    But dont expect a throttled performance.

6. DiGiTY

DiGiTY Thread Starter

Ya, I thought about it for a couple of days and I'm gonna wipe the 64-bit installation and install 32-bit instead. I won't be supporting this machine after installation so I figured it'll be easier for the owner to troubleshoot issues on a 32-bit OS than a 64-bit OS on her own.

Thanks again.

7. antech

antech Banned

If you have got a satisfactory answer to your question,
    then please mark this thread as solved.

8. xpsolutions

xpsolutions

I have a similar system like one you're working on... Pentium 4, 3ghz and installed windows 7 ultimate 64bit. it runs fine. my only suggestion is make sure Ram is 2gb minimum.

9. antech

antech Banned

1GB is NOT the minimum requirement for windows 7.
    512M is!
    It would just run fine on a pc with 1GB RAM.
    See my specs(Acer Aspire 5100)

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

11. xpsolutions

xpsolutions

It should be made ILLEGAL to sell computers today or even in the last 3 yrs with less than 1GB Ram.
    Reason is that we walk into stores attracted with the 'sale' of a Vista installed computer with 512mb ram
    unknowingly the 'minimum' that is only going to be a frustrating experience waiting for pages to open when on internet or downloading something.
    You buy this 'Multitasking computer' with 512mb ram thats multitasking with frustratingly slow experience. Then you end up paying a technician to diagnose and tell you that you need to buy more ram.

12. antech

antech Banned

Thats a sensible thought.
    The Windows Experience Index should be minimum of 3.0
    Only PC with 3.0 WEI should be sold in stores

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!