1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is a "RE-INSTALL" & a "RESTORE" the same thing?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by luky, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luky

luky Thread Starter

hello wise ones ...
    the title pretty much says it all....
    im curious to know if they are the same thing (a restore / a re-install)?
    im actually asking this while biting down feeling like i know the answer but i think im kind of in denial.

~ im defining a reinstall as reverting back to factory condition with all the bloat-ware, etc., where you start all over from scratch.

~ im defining a restore as picking up where you left off from a back-up / image that was made previously.

wow ! in denial big times!

i have put a lot of work into getting my system to the way i want it. (changes in the services settings being the biggest one of all) and have installed three programs that i picked up for free and use regularly that will be inactivated if theyre uninstalled.

so if theyre not the same thing - and ONLY a Re-install gives you that fresh and clean feeling, how on earth can i quickly revert back to my preferred settings AND re-install my programs and the ones i mentioned above. the majority of my stuff is freeware but the ones i mentioned above are actually full versions that were being given away and i dont have serials for those.
    is this even possible?
    thanks all!

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    No they aren't (fortunately) the same. Your definitions of reinstall is more or less on track provided that you mean reinstall Windows. Restoring to factory settings is a reinstall from a disk or image provided by the manufacturer. System Restore however simply roles back critical system files to a previous date, leaving programs and files intact. It does however have a limited length of time over which it can roll back.

The best thing that you can do as far as keeping your software and settings is concerned is make and store a full disk image once you first set it up. To make sure you keep your files, simply get a regular backup going.

Unfortunately you don't want your main disk image to include all the problems that necessitate a reinstall. If you have to get rid of Windows you'll have to sacrifice programs and settings because it will be those that cause the present problem. Make an image once you either diagnose and fix the problems or reinstall and personalize windows.

Don't give up on the possibility of repair for the moment. If you are worried only about freshening it up there are techniques and tools to do that for you. If you are worried about something more serious there are plenty of people here who can advise.

3. luky

luky Thread Starter

Okay - fine so im not in denial anymore!
    LOL
    and yes i should have been a little more specific i should have mentioned that i meant restore from a back up image (i use Macrium Reflect).
    still though - i realize and i guess i knew all along that they're not the same thing.
    im currently sailing smoothly and not having any problems but a recent article that i read at HTG got me to thinking that ......
    like you said above, UNLESS i sacrifice certain programs or settings there is no starting over with a fresh and clean system.
    thank you, Ent

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/963088

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice