1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is All Users account needed?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by toddwilli, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. toddwilli

toddwilli Thread Starter

I hope this is not a repeat of some thread already closed. I could not find any title with an appropriate title.

Is the "All Users" account necessary? It seems to have a tremendous information also in my own account, and it takes up a huge amount of disk space. Can I just delete this account and all the files therein? How else can I limit its size or somehow recover the disk space it takes?

Thanks for any help. If this topic has already been covered somewhere, please give me the link.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I will stand corrected on this - if I am incorrect but as far as I am aware there is not an ACCOUNT named the all users acount

There is a built in administrators account
    A built in guest account
    User accounts created with permission as set if you so wish

There are then Groups, which are set incorporating users

THEN there are user profiles created, which are stored in documents and settings
    These are for example
    1. All users
    2. Administrator
    3. The user profiles for the acounts created , other than the admin and guest acount created by default

Groups is a separate issue - .
    See my screenshot please to establiosh what exactly exists on your computer
    Simply expand Users or Groups and the details will then show in the main window.

See this
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...oddocs/en-us/ua_c_account_types.mspx?mfr=true

and this please
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm

PLEASE NOW confirm what it is you wish to do.
    Delete a USER account
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/.../proddocs/en-us/lsm_delete_user.mspx?mfr=true

User Profiles
    http://www.helloarticle.com/configuring-and-managing-user-profiles-in-the-windows-xp-ope-r1427.htm

Delete a User Profile
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/.../en-us/sysdm_userprofile_delete.mspx?mfr=true

Attached Files:

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    It is NOT a true account, it is a place holder for those items that are use in "ALL Accounts". Some programs will add the startup entries and program icons there. So when a new account is made, then these items will appear in the new account.

Such things as your protection programs are there so they WILL be run at startup of every account. It they are not there, they your machine will NOT be protected.

One can add and remove things form the "Desktop, and Startup Group" of the All User, but I would NOT even try to remove it at all.

4. toddwilli

toddwilli Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the detailed reply, Macboatmaster.

A few more details about my system. I am running XP Home. I have a 80GB hard drive partitioned into
    15GB drive C and the rest in drive D. I have a 2GHz Pentium 4 processor with 1.5GB ram. I run Norton Security Suite. I install all updates to Windows, Explorer, and Norton whenever they appear. I run Norton scans regularly and have no performance problems with any programs, except for low space on Drive C.

I checked my system for the screen shot you supplied. However, my system has no folder named "Local Users and Groups". All the other folders are present.

I also checked the links you supplied. I think they are not much help directly, since I have only the Admin account, my named account, and guest account. I have no need to restrict any access, since this is my own home PC.

However, in the second link from Kellys-korner there is a reference to an All Users profile established in Documents and Settings on drive C (system drive). This is the folder which has over half my drive C space.

The root problem is my C drive keeps running out of space. I get nasty "low disk space" messages, and I can't even write photo files to a CD because of not enough space on drive C. I keep paring down drive C files and entries to gain space, but something keeps reappearing and gobbling up the space in a few days.

The All Users folder and my named folder seem to have a lot of duplicate entries. Since I am the only user, it seems there may be two options to free up some space.
    1. Remove my own named account and user profile and rely on the All Users profile. Will I lose some access that way? Will I have to go through some troublesome login procedure? Any other unforseen results?
    2. Remove the All Users profile and folder and rely on my named account and profile. But will the "All Users" profile and all the entries in Documents and Settings just be re-established next time I boot up? Any other unforseen results?

Any other ideas about why my drive C space keeps disappearing? What about all those older updates for Windows, NetHood, etc.? Can I delete any of those? Any help is most appreciated.

5. toddwilli

toddwilli Thread Starter

Thanks, DaveA, for your reply, which came in while I was composing my reply to Macboatmaster. Please read that one. If you have any other ideas about my C drive space problem, I would love to hear them.

6. raybro

raybro

I looked at the folders you talk about on my XP Home system with the following results. My entire Documents and Settings folder which contains all the normal profiles is only 2GB in size.

Since you have 1 folder (All Users) occupying half of your C:/ drive space, I'd say that is the fundamental problem (brilliant, no?)

The question is what do you do about it? Firstly, deleting any user folder really does not address the problem. Even if it appears to fix it, you still do not know the basic cause which may well be some sort of malware or corrupted system files. Secondly, here is what I suggest would be a good start to understand what is going on. If you do not already have them, download Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware. Both are free downloads. Install and update both programs, then separately run scans with each. Delete anything found.

Now download HiJackThis (also free), install it to its default location, close all other programs and click the "Scan my system and save a log file" button. The log file will be displayed in Notepad. Copy the entire content of the file and paste it into a reply to this thread.

DO NOT FIX ANYTHING UNTIL INSTRUCTED TO DO SO BY A TSG AUTHORIZED HJT LOG FILE ANALYST

There are only a few members authorized to do this, so be patient and one will eventually do it.

The only fly in the ointment is with so apparent little headroom on your C:/ drive, you may not have the required space to install the programs. If that happens, post back and I'm sure a workaround can be developed. We have some really talented people on TSG and collectively, I'm sure the problem can be solved.

One question... Do you have any Flash (thumb) drives handy? If not, you might consider getting a couple. I suspect you are going to need somewhere to either store some stuff or a place to download some stuff. Much quicker and easier to use than CD's or DVD's.

Good Luck... Raybro

7. toddwilli

toddwilli Thread Starter

Thanks, raybro, for your reply.

I am sorry that I misspoke about the size of my All Users folder. My entire Documents and Settings folder is almost 5GB, which is still a huge amount. My Windows folder has almost 7GB and my Programs folder has just over 4GB. I keep trying to install programs to my D drive, but it is not always allowed. And there appear program folders on C even if I install some programs on D (like Adobe).

I did all you suggested. The AntiSpyware detected and removed some 137 items. The AntiMalware did not detect or remove anything. Here is my HiJackThis log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 10:12:31 AM, on 12/28/2010
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
    Boot mode: Normal
    Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
    D:\Program Files\Adobe\3.2\Apps\apdproxy.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Samsung\PanelMgr\SSMMgr.exe
    D:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sony\Giga Pocket\shwserv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Pure Networks Shared\Platform\nmctxth.exe
    D:\Program Files\Network Magic\nmapp.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
    D:\Program Files\SuperAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    D:\Program Files\Norton Security Suite\Norton Security Suite\Engine\3.8.0.41\ccSvcHst.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Media Integrated Server\Photo\appsrv\PhotoAppSrv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchIndexer.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Pure Networks Shared\Platform\nmsrvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Media Integrated Server\Platform\SV_Httpd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Media Integrated Server\Platform\UPnPFramework.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sony\Giga Pocket\RM_SV.exe
    D:\Program Files\Norton Security Suite\Norton Security Suite\Engine\3.8.0.41\ccSvcHst.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    D:\Program Files\HijackThis.exe
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.cnn.com/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.sony.com/vaiopeople
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
    O2 - BHO: Symantec NCO BHO - {602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408} - D:\Program Files\Norton Security Suite\Norton Security Suite\Engine\3.8.0.41\coIEPlg.dll
    O2 - BHO: Symantec Intrusion Prevention - {6D53EC84-6AAE-4787-AEEE-F4628F01010C} - D:\Program Files\Norton Security Suite\Norton Security Suite\Engine\3.8.0.41\IPSBHO.DLL
    O2 - BHO: Search Helper - {6EBF7485-159F-4bff-A14F-B9E3AAC4465B} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\Search Helper\SEPsearchhelperie.dll
    O2 - BHO: Search Toolbar - {9D425283-D487-4337-BAB6-AB8354A81457} - C:\Program Files\Search Toolbar\SearchToolbar.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.6.5612.1312\swg.dll
    O2 - BHO: MSN Toolbar Helper - {d2ce3e00-f94a-4740-988e-03dc2f38c34f} - C:\Program Files\MSN\Toolbar\3.0.1125.0\msneshellx.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: MSN Toolbar - {1E61ED7C-7CB8-49d6-B9E9-AB4C880C8414} - C:\Program Files\MSN\Toolbar\3.0.1125.0\msneshellx.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton Toolbar - {7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA} - D:\Program Files\Norton Security Suite\Norton Security Suite\Engine\3.8.0.41\coIEPlg.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Search Toolbar - {9D425283-D487-4337-BAB6-AB8354A81457} - C:\Program Files\Search Toolbar\SearchToolbar.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ezShieldProtector for Px] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VAIO Recovery] C:\WINDOWS\Sonysys\VAIO Recovery\PartSeal.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Photo Downloader] "D:\Program Files\Adobe\3.2\Apps\apdproxy.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Samsung PanelMgr] C:\WINDOWS\Samsung\PanelMgr\SSMMgr.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "D:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nmctxth] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Pure Networks Shared\Platform\nmctxth.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nmapp] "D:\Program Files\Network Magic\nmapp.exe" -autorun -nosplash
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware] d:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe /install /silent
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] "C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] D:\Program Files\SuperAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Remocon Driver.lnk = ?
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Google Photos Screensa&ver - res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\GPhotos.scr/200
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Google Sidewiki... - res://C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\GoogleToolbarDynamic_mui_en_89D8574934B26AC4.dll/cmsidewiki.html
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe (file missing)
    O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.sony.com/vaiopeople
    O16 - DPF: {0742B9EF-8C83-41CA-BFBA-830A59E23533} (Microsoft Data Collection Control) - https://support.microsoft.com/OAS/ActiveX/MSDcode.cab
    O16 - DPF: {10E0E75E-6701-4134-9D95-C0942ED1F1C8} (Snapfish Outlook Import ActiveX Control) - http://www1.snapfish.com/SnapfishOutlookImport.cab
    O16 - DPF: {406B5949-7190-4245-91A9-30A17DE16AD0} (Snapfish Activia) - http://www1.snapfish.com/SnapfishActivia.cab
    O16 - DPF: {4D054067-DE3A-48F9-B19B-BCD229B9AE8D} (PrinterHelpEtcActiveX Control) - http://www.samsungdp.com/printerhelp/ActiveX/DrPrinter.cab
    O16 - DPF: {C7DEDA04-2FFF-4B81-AE66-0A0E0EF4AD2F} (Image Uploader Control) - http://www.ritzpix.com/NET/Uploader/LPUploader57.cab
    O16 - DPF: {E06E2E99-0AA1-11D4-ABA6-0060082AA75C} -
    O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
    O18 - Protocol: symres - {AA1061FE-6C41-421F-9344-69640C9732AB} - D:\Program Files\Norton Security Suite\Norton Security Suite\Engine\3.8.0.41\coIEPlg.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - D:\Program Files\SuperAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.DLL
    O23 - Service: Acronis Scheduler2 Service (AcrSch2Svc) - Acronis - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe
    O23 - Service: Adobe Active File Monitor V5 (AdobeActiveFileMonitor5.0) - Unknown owner - D:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\PhotoshopElementsFileAgent.exe
    O23 - Service: Giga Pocket Hardware Detector - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\Giga Pocket\shwserv.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate1c9cc695e7a324e) (gupdate1c9cc695e7a324e) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
    O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton Security Suite (N360) - Symantec Corporation - D:\Program Files\Norton Security Suite\Norton Security Suite\Engine\3.8.0.41\ccSvcHst.exe
    O23 - Service: Pure Networks Platform Service (nmservice) - Cisco Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Pure Networks Shared\Platform\nmsrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
    O23 - Service: Sony TV Tuner Controller - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\Giga Pocket\halsv.exe
    O23 - Service: Sony TV Tuner Manager - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\Giga Pocket\RM_SV.exe
    O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\Sptisrv.exe
    O23 - Service: VAIO Media Music Server (VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-AppServer) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Media Integrated Server\Music\SSSvr.exe
    O23 - Service: VAIO Media Music Server (HTTP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-HTTP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Media Integrated Server\Platform\SV_Httpd.exe
    O23 - Service: VAIO Media Music Server (UPnP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-UPnP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Media Integrated Server\Platform\UPnPFramework.exe
    O23 - Service: VAIO Media Photo Server (VAIOMediaPlatform-PhotoServer-AppServer) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Media Integrated Server\Photo\appsrv\PhotoAppSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: VAIO Media Photo Server (HTTP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-PhotoServer-HTTP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Media Integrated Server\Platform\SV_Httpd.exe
    O23 - Service: VAIO Media Photo Server (UPnP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-PhotoServer-UPnP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Media Integrated Server\Platform\UPnPFramework.exe
    O23 - Service: VAIO Media Video Server (VAIOMediaPlatform-VideoServer-AppServer) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Media Integrated Server\Video\GPVSvr.exe
    O23 - Service: VAIO Media Video Server (HTTP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-VideoServer-HTTP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Media Integrated Server\Platform\SV_Httpd.exe
    O23 - Service: VAIO Media Video Server (UPnP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-VideoServer-UPnP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Media Integrated Server\Platform\UPnPFramework.exe
    --
    End of file - 11126 bytes

Please note that I must have Norton running due to my use of Comcast. I have 104MB of space on drive C as of this writing. Last week after removing a bunch of stuff, I had over 500MB. Wha hoppen?

Any suggestions from anyone are very welcome!

8. toddwilli

toddwilli Thread Starter

It has been a week since I posted my last post in this thread, with all my HiJack log and everything. No one has replied since. Is anyone planning to reply with some help? My C drive is now down to 4MB free space!!! I have not installed any new programs. Help, please!

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What I can't understand is why you allocated only 15 GB of that 80 GB hard drive for the primary C partition that holds the Windows XP operating system and its associated updates, add-ons, programs, etc.. :confused:

If you had split it into two 40 GB partitions, you likely wouldn't be having this problem.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Open the MY COMPUTER window, then click Tools - Folder Options - View(tab).

Select "Show hidden files and folders".

Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files".

Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".

Click Apply - OK and ignore the warning that appears.

Start HiJackThis, but don't run a scan.

Click on the "Open The Misc Tools Section" button.

Click on the "Open Uninstall Manager" button.

Click on the "Save List" button.

Save the "uninstall_list.txt" file somewhere.

It'll then open in Notepad.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire file here.

10. toddwilli

toddwilli Thread Starter

Thank you, Flavalee, for your response. Here are my answers:

1. When I originally partitioned the disk, I had no idea how many programs required some kind of files to be installed on drive C. I assumed I could have just the OS and maybe Office, with all other programs on drive D, along with all my data. How wrong I was! But it is what it is at this point.

2. I did all the operations you suggested. Here is my "uninstall list"
    32 Bit HP CIO Components Installer
    Acrobat.com
    Acrobat.com
    Acronis True Image Home
    Adobe Acrobat 4.0
    Adobe AIR
    Adobe AIR
    Adobe Common File Installer
    Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX
    Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin
    Adobe Help Center 2.1
    Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0
    Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Beta
    Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.2
    Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.2
    Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.2 Templates
    Adobe Reader 9.4.1
    Adobe® Photoshop® Album Starter Edition 3.2
    Agere Systems AC'97 Modem
    Apple Application Support
    Apple Software Update
    ArcSoft Software Suite
    ATI - Software Uninstall Utility
    ATI Control Panel
    ATI Display Driver
    BCL easyConverter SDK 1.0.0 Module
    Click to DVD 1.3
    Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system
    Conference Player
    CutePDF Writer 2.8
    Drag'n Drop CD+DVD
    DVgate Plus
    Family Tree Maker 2008
    Family Tree Maker 2009
    Giga Pocket 5.5
    Giga Pocket Demo Movie
    Giga Pocket Hardware Library 5.5
    Google Earth
    Google Update Helper
    HijackThis 2.0.2
    Hotfix for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB953595)
    Hotfix for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB958484)
    Hotfix for Windows XP (KB2158563)
    Hotfix for Windows XP (KB2443685)
    HP Document Manager 1.0
    HP Imaging Device Functions 10.0
    HP Officejet J4500 Series
    HP Photosmart Essential 2.5
    HP Solution Center 10.0
    HP Update
    InstallMgr
    Intel(R) Extreme Graphics Driver
    Intel(R) PRO Network Adapters and Drivers
    InterVideo WinDVD 5 for VAIO
    IrfanView (remove only)
    Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_01
    Java(TM) 6 Update 18
    Maintenance Samsung ML-2525W Series
    Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    Memory Stick Formatter
    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
    Microsoft Compression Client Pack 1.0 for Windows XP
    Microsoft Default Manager
    Microsoft Internationalized Domain Names Mitigation APIs
    Microsoft National Language Support Downlevel APIs
    Microsoft Office XP Professional
    Microsoft Primary Interoperability Assemblies 2005
    Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack
    Microsoft Silverlight
    Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition [ENU]
    Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.0
    Microsoft WSE 3.0
    MSN Toolbar
    MSN Toolbar
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB973688)
    MSXML 6.0 Parser (KB925673)
    NAIC Investor's Toolkit
    Network Magic
    Nikon Message Center
    Norton Security Suite
    NVIDIA Windows 2000/XP Display Drivers
    OCR Software by I.R.I.S. 10.0
    OpenMG Secure Module 3.3.01
    Picasa 3
    PictureGear Studio 2.0
    PictureProject
    Punch! Professional Home Design
    QuickTime
    RealOne Player
    SAMSUNG Dr.Printer
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB2416473)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB938127)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB938127-v2)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB956390)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB961260)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB963027)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB969897)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB972260)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2183461)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2360131)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2416400)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB971961)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB972260)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB974455)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB976325)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB978207)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB981332)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB982381)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB2378111)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB952069)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB973540)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB975558)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player 9 (KB917734)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB2079403)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB2115168)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB2121546)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB2160329)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB2229593)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB2279986)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB2286198)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB2296011)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB2296199)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB2347290)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB2360937)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB2387149)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB2423089)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB2436673)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB2440591)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB2443105)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376-v2)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB979687)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB980436)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB981322)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB981852)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB981957)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB981997)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB982132)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB982214)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB982665)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB982802)
    SmartViewer
    SonicStage 1.6.00
    Sony Certificate PCH
    Sony Video Shared Library
    SUPERAntiSpyware
    Uniblue RegistryBooster
    Uniblue System Tweaker
    Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB963707)
    Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB972636)
    Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB976662)
    Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB976749)
    Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB980182)
    Update for Windows XP (KB2141007)
    Update for Windows XP (KB2345886)
    Update for Windows XP (KB2467659)
    VAIO BrightColor Wallpaper
    VAIO Help and Support
    VAIO Media 2.6
    VAIO Media Integrated Server 2.6
    VAIO Media Redistribution 2.6
    VAIO Registration
    VAIO Remote Commander Utility 6.2
    VAIO Support
    VAIO Survey Standalone
    VAIO System Information
    Viewpoint Media Player (Remove Only)
    ViewSonic Monitor Drivers
    WebEx Support Manager for Internet Explorer
    Welcome to VAIO life
    Windows Internet Explorer 8
    Windows Media Format 11 runtime
    Windows Media Format 11 runtime
    Windows Media Player 11
    Windows Media Player 11
    Windows PowerShell(TM) 1.0
    Windows Presentation Foundation
    Windows XP Service Pack 3

I have not been able to obtain an authoritative answer to the question of whether I must keep all those old updates, which each take up some space. I have deleted some of them with no apparent change in my operations. Why does Microsoft not automatically delete/uninstall old ones when new ones are installed? Any opinions?

Thanks very much for your help.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Do the following in the order listed:

-------------------------------------------------------

Go into these 2 temp folders:

C:\WINDOWS\Temp

C:\Documents And Settings\(Username)\Local Settings\Temp

Once they're open and you can view their contents, select and delete EVERYTHING inside them.

If a few files resist being deleted, leave them alone and delete everything else.

Right-click RECYCLE BIN, then click Properties.

Move the slider from its default value of 10% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties - System Restore(tab).

Move the slider from its default value of 12% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

After all of the above is done, empty the Recycle Bin, then restart the computer.

--------------------------------------------------------

Go into the C:\WINDOWS folder.

Delete all the blue highlighted $NtUninstall - - - $ folders.

After that's done, empty the Recycle Bin, then restart the computer.

Uninstall these programs and add-ons because they're not needed or are outdated or are dangerous to use:

Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition 3.2

Apple Application Support

Apple Software Update

HP Photosmart Essentials 2.5

HP Update
    (Ignore the HP warning that they're needed. They're not.)

Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_01

Microsoft Default Manager

MSN Toolbar

Uniblue RegistryBooster

Uniblue System Tweaker

Viewpoint Media Player

After they've all been uninstalled, restart your computer.

12. toddwilli

toddwilli Thread Starter

Flavallee, thanks once again for your help.

I did all that you suggested. Of interest: I could not delete $NtUninstallKB826939$, which was created in 2003. The only program I did not uninstall is the HP Photosmart Essentials, since it said I should not uninstall it if I am using an HP J4580 all-in-one, which I am.

Interestingly, before I did the uninstalls, my C drive was up to about 539MB free, which was great! After the uninstalls, the free space is down to about 514MB, which is still a big improvement, but very puzzling. Go figure!

But I still have not received any answer to one of my original questions: Is it necessary to have both the "All Users" account, with all its Application Data files, AND the account with my own name, with all its Application Data files which seem to be largely duplications? To remind you, this is a home PC with just me as the major user.

I really appreciate your taking the time to nursemaid me along.

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You did empty the Recycle Bin after completing my previous instructions?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

You're using Acronis True Image Home, so it's possible that you have it set to create a backup on a scheduled basis which is eating up hard drive space.

------------------------------------------------------------------

14. rotarysteve

rotarysteve Banned

Per my understanding, having access to the Administrative Login gives you access to everything on the computer...... all files and control of the settings.... The files you see in "other" accounts are the same files.

Any other "USER" are only allowed access to the files/settings Permitted by the Adminstrative User. In other words.... The Admin User has complete access and control of the computer and dictates what the User Logins can see.

Perhaps subject to debate, so don't do anything in a pinch, but if you delete a file from the Admin account, you delete that from anyone with a lesser amount of privilages. My take is that you can delete any/all User's from the computer as long as you are logged in as the ADMIN and keep the ADMIN ACCOUNT....

Allow others to confirm.... I'm by far not an expert.

15. rotarysteve

rotarysteve Banned

PS,

Odds are that your just storaging too much on ur main drive.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971060

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice