Solved: is any one way better to shut down your computer or put it into standby, etc?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wyred

I know it's never good to shutdown your computer without first closing your operating system, but i heard once that it's actually slightly harmful to fully shutdown and power off your system... at least as opposed to going into hibernate or stand by.

is there any truth to that?

A grain of truth, maybe.

Electronic devices experience some "thermal shock" when turned on and off frequently that can lead to microcracks and shortened life. Very expensive electronic equipment (NMR, ESR, etc.) is never turned off.

But drivers and devices don't get a chance to re-initialize if the machine is not turned off. So I prefer to use standby and hibernation only rarely.

In the long term it does not seem to make much difference Personal choice and use of the computer usually dictates wether to shut down or hibernate/standby . Why waste the power if the computer is not being used for a few hours .

The reliability of components in computers of today means that they will be obsolete and unused long before any failure caused by power up.

On the other hand, software is becoming so complex, reliability is very poor if a full shutdown is not used, as not much of it enjoys standby or hibernation.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online