1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is Corel Photopaint any good?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by caraewilton, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. caraewilton

caraewilton Thread Starter

Hi. Require a few opinions from the masses. I currently have corel draw with photopaint installed on my computer. I teach I.T. classes which requires the need to show kids how to crop pics and so on. I would like to give them a crash course in bitmap editing. Which is better. Adobe photoshop or will Corel photopaint be okay. What are the advantages of photoshop.
    I have used both, and for what I do, they don't seem that different, but then this in not my area of expertise.

2. Hughv

Hughv

Photoshop is the gold standard, but it's expensive. I would definitely recommend it, and I understand there are academic discounts which may make it more affordable. There are also "Lite" versions, like elements, which have many of the features of PS.
    There are a zillion and two PS tutorials online, and lots of documentation available for free.
    The Gimp is free, and does most of what PS does, although I find it harder to use. GIMP Shop uses a UI similar to PS, and may satisfy your need.

3. hewee

hewee

4. idowindows

idowindows

5. caraewilton

Actually I have that already. Never thought of it though. So thanks:)

6. Knotbored

Knotbored

Carawilton-step very carefully in showing these kids about photo editing unless you are VERY knowlegable about the subject. Most teens, especially those interested in computers as a career are experts in picture editing and you dont want to come across as talking down to them. You also dont want to be asked a question you cannot answer but half the class knows the answer to.
    My suggestion-call a couple of local computer stores and ask for an expert to give a half-hour demo of any editing program they sell. Its amazing what info small business will do to get viewed by a captive audience.

7. caraewilton

Hi knotbored. I agree with everything you have said. I would consider myself a highly competant corel photopaint user. My original reason for posting this post was to ascertain what the advantages would be of moving towards adobe photoshop. My thinking is that it would be little worth teaching the kids a programme that only has value to me as I can use it. If that is the case then I should use my December vac to get up to speed with photoshop.

8. Hughv

Hughv

Knotbored's thought is kind of interesting.
    I'd say just about the opposite. Do your best, prepare as well as you can, and if you locate a knowledgeable student, invite him/her to present the material.
    Teaching is difficult under any circumstances, but if you stick to what you know well, everybody loses.
    A teacher should never be afraid to say, "I don't know."

9. caraewilton

I think a teacher should always be willing to learn. But when it comes to being the teacher, then I should know more than the kids. That is in the teaching a class senario. By the same token I have students working on projects like asp based web pages where I have little knowledge and they have oodles. In this setting they come on a saturday knowing they are the masters and I am the student. As it were.

That is why I am willing to learn all the ins and outs of photoshop if it is truly the better programme.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!