1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: is disk formatting required after installing new mobo??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eather, Nov 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eather

eather Thread Starter

pls help,

i want to upgrade my pc from P3-500, intel 815 chipset to P core 2 duo, intel D102GGC.
    after changing my mobo will i have to reinstall winxp?:eek:
    will all my data in my hard-disk get formated and be lost??:confused:
    is there a way to save my data other than buring everythin?:mad:
    also what of my application softwares(antivirus, etc), reinstall them?:confused:

pls tell me a way to save all my data and not loose my sofwares if i change my mobo.

thanx in advance for replying

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

You can perform a clean install .. . will not give the best results, but will get you running long enough to salvage data . .

This is a good guide to performing a repair install

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Then, you can use the XP Files and Settings Transfer (FAST) wizard to create an image of them and save to cd or other removable media. These are good guides to using the FAST wizard. Just be sure you have an up-to-date antivirus before you re-instate them!

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_fstw.asp
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

Once you have the files saved, you can perform a clean install to have a stable system.

Another option is to buy a new drive .. install XP on that, then attach the old one as a slave and capture data from it.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can do a swap without a clean install or a repair install provided your system drive is ide. If it is sata, this method will not work. In any case, you need to backup anything important. Data you do not backup is data you do not care about.

To swap boards without a clean install, do the following. Note during this process DO NOT reboot; just tell it later.

1 Uninstall any software that is dependent on the old board. This would be things like onboard sound driver, onboard nic driver, monitoring software, etc.
    2 Either uninstall or disable your anti-virus app so it does not start with windows.
    3 This step is most important if you want it to boot. Go to device manager and select ide / atapi controllers. Select primary and right click, choose to update driver and tell the wizard do not search I will select a driver. Select standard ide driver. Repeat this for the secondary ide. While in device manager, remove anything dependent on the old board ie floppy controller, usb controller, etc. If you miss one here, no big deal. The important item is the ide controllers.
    4 Now shutdown and do the swap. From now on reboot when prompted. You must install chipset / mb drivers, install any other drivers as necessary ie sound, etc. Now reinstall your video driver.
    Note you must reactivate xp since the hw change will trigger the need to activate.

BTW if you have a pre-built system that came with xp loaded, you will need to purchase an install disk anyway so I would just do the clean install.

In any case you MUST backup anything you do not want to loose.

4. eather

eather Thread Starter

thanx for replying

my device manager shows the ide ata/atapi controllers....therefore my system driver is ide and not sata..right??
    my new mobo intel D102GGC2L..is it sata or ide? how do i know
    but if i change the mobo doing as u say, will i loose any data or installed software
    will such an installation create a potential problem in the future

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

PIII has to be ide. Be aware that while you can do the install that way, it will most likely never run right. My suggestion would be to use 3rd party software like Partition Magic and create a second partition on the hard drive and simply copy all files and data you want to save over there to new partition. Then do clean install on existing C drive.

6. eather

eather Thread Starter

thanx for replying simpswr

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I had one here that ran fine for three years after doing the swap as I described. It finally died due to bad caps on the mb.
    Do not take this wrong, however with the questions you ask and given the complexity of the procedure I have posted, I think you would be better off just clean installing the os.

8. eather

eather Thread Starter

thanx for replying Rich-M, iguss i will simply burn all my data and do a clean install.....
    but tell me how doi go about it i.e how do i clean install on existing C drive...this i do before or after installing new mobo

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

There is a guide to reinstalling windows on the win2k/xp forum. Read the guide completely then begin the procedure.

10. eather

eather Thread Starter

thanx i will do that - crjdriver

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/515100

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice