1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is dual core processor possible for HP mini 110 Netbook?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hhannam, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    There is someone with with an HP/Compaq Mini 110 Netbook (10.1" screen, XP OS) for sale that claims it has an Intel Dual Core 2 Duo processor installed. I've never heard of such an animal, nor do I think it's probably possible to install that processor into that computer, but the seller reasserted that it does have the advertised dual core processor when I emailed and questioned the ad. The ad did provide the computer's serial # so I also called HP. They claimed the original processor was an Intel Atom N270, 1.60Ghz. I am now awaiting the seller's return from a trip to answer my latest facts from the manufacturer and supposedly an explanation of how the dual core processor got there. I will also asked for a digital snapshot of the control panel's "System" page, which would have the installed computer's processor posted.

Could someone comment on whether they think it's even possible to install an Intel Dual Core 2 Duo into this netbook.

Thanks for looking.

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

I would wait until you see the snapshot of the System details. It may be possible to have upgraded to a Dual Core processor but I would think it unlikely that the motherboard would support it as it was obviously designed for the original single core processor.

The other concern I would have is that a Dual Core processor is likely to produce more heat and I doubt very much that the heatsink could also have been upgraded.

I would suggest that if you have any doubts about this PC you should look elsewhere.

This is just my opinion, more informed helpers may have different advice to offer.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

The N570 Atom was put into some of them, at least in Japan, and that is dual-core. I think they used the N550 at some point, too. But I doubt that a board that came with a single core was directly upgradeable to dual.

It would use more power. And since those processors are usually hard-soldered, I doubt people would be able to simply remove one and replace it with another.

Ask where it came from. He could send you a different SysInfo screen.

4. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    To: Mark1956 & Elvandil

Thanks for your excellent replies. I truly appreciate your comments

5. Mark1956

Mark1956

Your welcome.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You're welcome.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024503

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice