1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is hotmail account not working because my computer software is too old?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by MOUS, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MOUS

MOUS Thread Starter

Some Hotmail account holders can't read their mail. How old are their pcs and software? I can read my mail but can't reply or create new messages: I have Windows XP and have my pc for about 7 years I think. A friend can read and send messages but can't print messages, or copy and paste messages in order to print them. So she has fewer problems than I have, and she has had her pc for about 3 years. (I have this week, following advice received, 'optimised my browser'; this was no help). Are people's different problems related to the age of their machines and systems? I assume the very troublesome new Hotmail was developed using Vista and other recent software.

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

got a god old dell laptop here with dinosaur poop on it and it runs well so do not think thats it, windows gets bloated quickly its surprising the difference a nice new fresh installation can have on an older computer especially a stripped down "lite" version
    loads users have issues with hotmail, what is your actual issue specifically

3. MOUS

MOUS Thread Starter

Thanks for answering - I am hoping that publicity about disastrous new Hotmail might eventually result in decision by Microsoft to revert to the old Hotmail, though at this stage hope is fading.

My specific problem: I can't reply to mail, or create a new message.

4. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi the new Hotmail - will only work on IE - Firefox - Opera and maybe a few more.
    I use K-Meloen browser and it will not load completely and have to use Opera to read, send attachments etc.
    What browser are you using?

5. MOUS

MOUS Thread Starter

Thanks - I use Internet Explorer, which I upgraded to IE8 the other day (I think, that was my intention anyway and my pc seems to think it is now using IE8). I wasn't specific earlier about my problem with Hotmail: when I click 'reply' to a message I get the appropriate screen but there is no defined box in which to type text of my reply (although my name, address etc do appear as normal). If I want to send new message, I get appropriate screen, can type receiver's name but no contacts come up, can type subject, but again no text box in which to type message. No idea therefore if I might have a further problem with attachments, can't get that far.

6. vicks

vicks

When I went to Hotmail's site and clicked on the help icon, then forums, I found what I have inserted below. Apparently you are not alone with this issue (I know that is not much of a consolation) :(
    Quotation is here:
    "if you are having problems composing an e-mail after your account was upgraded to the new Hotmail, please check this link for solution:
    https://windowslivehelp.com/thread.aspx?threadid=5844f01b-cccb-4a89-a359-16e0739918db

If you are having problems viewing your messages or navigating your inbox:

Our Product Group is investigating this, but the following information would help us get to the root cause:

1. What type of internet connection you are using and what is your ISP?
    2. Have you tried to access your account from a different internet connection and had the same problems?

As a workaround, some customers have indicated that if they use Google Chrome to view their Hotmail account they no longer encounter this problem. You can get Chrome from:

http://www.google.com/chrome/"

Here is a link to where I found this...
    http://windowslivehelp.com/thread.aspx?threadid=abc463ef-70c4-4cf5-bd8c-ea76b2268e96
    I hope this is of some help for you.
    Vicks

7. MOUS

MOUS Thread Starter

Thank you thank you thank you.

This post has solved my problem. I used the link https://windowslivehelp.com/thread.a...9-16e0739918db, and within the message I found there, I used a link that advised me to uncheck High Contrast in my pc's Start / Settings / Control Panel / Accessibility Options / Display.

(Unchecking High Contrast also solved the display problem I have had for years, viewing and interacting with websites. I checked this box years ago, thinking it would improve readability of stuff on my pc. The opposite happened and I have been struggling ever since with websites that only partly display, and I didn't by that stage know what I had done to change the way they displayed.

It is interesting that Accessibility Options has a 'disabled person' icon in Windows XP Control Panel, leading anyone to think that if they have poor vision they will get the best display by enabling HIgh Contrast. Whereas what actually happens is that enabling this option adds to one's disability.)

8. vicks

vicks

Feel free to mark this as solved when ever you think it is completely solved.
    Click on the solved button at the top of your original post.
    Vicks

9. MOUS

MOUS Thread Starter

I've markerd it as solved, but you have no idea how long it took me to find the 'mark as solved' icon, I expected to find it around the 'quick reply' box...

Am starting a new thread about inability to change font style in emails, see you there...

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/941341

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice