1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved [SOLVED!] Is it a Compaq? Yes it is.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Marturo, Jan 24, 2002.

Unmark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Marturo

Marturo Guest Thread Starter

I am working on a Compaq model 5245. Made in 1998 and before the hard drive was compleatly formated it had. Windows 98, MS Office 97, MS Word, MS Works & misc Programs. There is one disk that came with it called Compaq Restore. I can't put a stand alone Win 95 or 98 on due in part to, I think all the emulation required by the Computer to make it a Compaq. When I start with a formated HD and pop in the Restore disk I see a lot of choices some are other Model #s and what look like Factory compressed files. At times I am asked if I am done. Would I like to start a clean up process. I'm not sure what is on the disk in total however I get the impression that if I knew the right buttons to push this disk would put all the programs that were lost that made this a model 5245 Compaq. All I have gotten from the disk is win 98 and not knowing what else to do said yes to clean up and re boot. I can't suggest that this lady buy a new MOBO and the HD case takes up the whole top of the case under the cover, the case is small but there are places to put another HD. I think this Restore disk is two disks in one. It is the factory set up disk with a new HD, and after that it is a Restore disk. You can only see the factory set up part of the disk if you start with a compleatly formated HD. Should I try again to do a factory install or just tell her it's gone and time to get a new one? Oh her Son Formated it when he could not put Win 2K on it. Marturo

2. esdxc37

esdxc37

i've read your post 3 times and am still a little confused

is the problem that you cant get the hard drive to work

you mention the man disks these will be all the relevant drivers

no emulation is required because a compaq comp is like any other but with parts that only fit a compaq and vice versa

you say you have the windows disk do you have a windows start up disk

if so just put that in

first at the a: prompt fdisk<>choose lba<>use largest capacity

then restart with start up disk

format c: dont do a quick format

then using the windows didk again choose start computer with cdrom support

type in the letter of the cdrom probably e

then type setup and windows should install

3. deuce

deuce

With an older compaq you can't very easily do a clean install. Up until about a year or two ago, Compaq had implemented the infamous "Compaq hidden diagnostic/boot partition". This hidden partition, maybe a few MB in size, was required to boot the pc and was nearly impossible to create yourself. Windows usually can't make it, but I have on occasion done it. Compaq supposedly has a utility out there that you can get to make it, but I haven't seen it. The only way I can do a "clean install" is to use the restore disc and then manually delete everything from my computer, and then run the windows setup. (that is if you don't want to take the time to get rid of all of compaq's crap they put on there) If it is a compaq, you usually won't have a restore disc because they loathe giving them out... even though they are required by law to give them out to ANYBODY that asks. The way I have done it without a restore disc is to track down another compaq with the sucker on it and then image it onto the computer I am working on, and then delete everything from my computer and do a clean install.

So now... about your post... is there something wrong with the mobo? It sounds like you said replacing the mobo is some sort of an option. So is your problem that you can't use the restore disc? Have you made sure it is for the 5245? Those restore discs will only work for the exact computer they are made to work with. (same exact factory hardware that it had when it was shipped) The restore is like a ghost and to install it, the cpu id must match, hard drive id, and all sort of other things like that.

4. Marturo

Yes, Mike I think that this is what we are dealing with here. I have a print out of a [ Microsoft Corporation Audit Mode License Agreement For Microsoft (r) Windows (r) 98 (OEMS and Resellers Only. Audit Mode: MS grants Company a copy of Software in Audit mode for the sole purposes of installing application software on the Computer hardware, testing ect. Now is this the Restore disk? I see a lot of Catalogs Isee a lot of Compaq files with MS programs. Do you think this is the CD that they don't want you to have? Marturo

5. esdxc37

esdxc37

ok deuce_mn give me a little more info on the Compaq hidden diagnostic/boot partition and lets see if we ca resolve this

6. deuce

deuce

yeah that might be it... so what happens when you try to use it?

7. deuce

deuce

well, esdxc37... it isn't easy to resolve, if that is what is holding him back.

8. brianF

brianF

See if this will help you out

Creates a bootable Emergency Recovery diskette to use with the Presario models listed above in case the hard drive becomes corrupted or unbootable. For Presario PCs that have the system hard drive partitioned into C: and D:, as it comes originally from Compaq, the Emergency Recovery Diskette allows the new "Typical QuickRestore" option if a "System Save" was performed by the user.

A "Typical QuickRestore" restores the C: partition from the D: partition.
    The C: partition will be restored with all the programs and user data that were last saved to D: by the "System Save" option.

This is a very useful alternative to the original "Full QuickRestore" option, which restores the original Factory Software Image from a CD, overwriting any user data.

http://web14.compaq.com/falco/sp_syn.asp?detail=yes&recid=SP9477

9. deuce

deuce

Hummm... compaq has done something that wasn't so bizzare afterall... :rolleyes:

10. Marturo

At this time the C: not saveD: drive has win 98 only. It must have a C: with a save D: partition for a restore to be sucessful. She made a emg start up diskette no back ups. Now if I format the HD and boot from the CD it will do this without changing the boot order, I become the factory worker who is last in line to load this Computer and make it a 5245. There are other choices for CABs & CATs to load other programs or not for other models. It seems that the 5245 had the most MS programs so how and when do I make the partition, because after getting Win 98 as an OS by using the Restore CD, I still only show Drive C:. Marturo

11. supertech

supertech

im not sure what this is about ......some models did recieve a restore disc hell the dsl model has 3 disc....make sure its a restore not a recovery disc ....i think the older pc,s had 2 discs and some had just 1 disc.......and the recovery partyition takes up more then a few mb.........do an fdisk and format ......put the cd in when the compaq screen comes on turn the cap locks and number lock keys on when the screen starts to blink disengage the number locks button ........this arms the hard drive .....if you dont do that it wont work

12. Marturo

This thing has a 1Gig HD in it. That must be why D: does not act like D: should. I am going to un hook this extra drive and I'll bet I end up with a C:/D: SAVE instead of C:, D: and E: I thought he just put two partitions on the main HD. I think that it is all starting to fit. If D: was somehow put between the real C: & D: they should come back together with the emg. start-up disk. I think I should go get a download where BrianF pointed me to just to be sure. The lady told me that the 1Gig was put on by the son trying to put Win 2K on it I guess,he put it in at the same time all this happened. Man everything is really stuffed in this little box well just maybe this can be brought back. I'll wait to hear from you guys before I go in. Do you think this is the way to go? Marturo

13. Marturo

Supertech did you not say that you were or did work as a Tech for Compaq? Have you ever taken 1 RED RESTORE CD with enough CABs & CATs to set up at least 6 different models in the 5200 series Compaq Computers, and set up a new Compaq Computer? Also can you be more specific on arming the Hard Drive? This is from a TXT file that is on the Restore CD. MS Corp. Audit Mode License Agreement for MS Windows 98 (OEMs and Resellers Only) It says: The Software in Audit Mode is Licensed for use Only by Manufactures and assemblers of Computer Hardware ("OEMS") and their resellers. It goes on to tell you what the Audit mode is. To reset the Software into the standard end user mode. Does any of this mean anything to you? Like just maybe this CD is capable of installing all the software that makes it possable for the end user to own and operate a Compaq model # 5245. Why would I FDISK the HD if taking this 1gig drive out of the picture, that has put itself right in the middle of what might just be, the ORG C:/D: SAVE, Compaq Hard Drive? Marturo

14. JerryM

JerryM

I have a Compaq 4110LA, It is the one I am currently using.

Try this.. Do an FDISK just don't change anything...
    While you are in FDisk, taek a look around, this shows not only what drives are available, but the partitions, and the types of partitions...

And mine came with 2 Compaq CD's a blue one, and a red one. and no I can't use the red one to help you.

The red one is written in Spanish, which is why it won't help..:)

Currently I am running Widnows XP, in which I put all of my WindowsXP files copied from the CD into the partition for the Compaq recovery.. I left the files for recovery alone, just made a new fodler and stuck them in it. In addition I also put in the same area all of my needed upgrade drivers for my computer.

I am using a 686C3 motherboard from compaq. Runs nice.
    Celeron 800MHz, 128 Megs PC133 Ram. 60 gigs in HDD.
    About ready to stick a SCSI CD writer in next week.

15. kramnnim

kramnnim

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66254

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice