1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is it legal to load one retail program on two computers?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by LauraMJ, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator Thread Starter

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a laptop. The entire reason I want this is to be able to take a laptop to other places that have free wireless connection to use my Frontpage program to edit websites with and use Quickbooks to work on a home-business stuff when I am out. Also to download pictures and videos and stuff because I can only get an extremely slow dial-up connection at my house.

So, what I need to know is can I install my current Frontpage CD and Quickbooks CD, that is already installed on this PC, AND install it on a new laptop, and get the updates for both? Or would I have to go out and purchase an entirely new CD for those programs? I do want to be able to have those programs on BOTH computers, because there will be times when both are in use by different family members, so I need to be able to have access to them on both computers.

Thanks!

2. ferrija1

ferrija1

You would have to read the help files or the manual to see the service agreement but you probably can't legally.

3. kitfox

kitfox

The Copyright,Design and Patents act of 1998 forbids copying software.

So I think it's illegal unless it's open source ^^!

(Bear in mind I'm just going by what's in my A-Level Computing textbook)

4. sistafatti

sistafatti

I am no legal expert but I have been doing that for years. I have two computers in my home, one for my wife and one for me. I have purchased programs and installed them on both computers and if updates are available have download updates for both. I didn't see in your post where you referenced copying the software which I agree is unlawful. If i understand your post correctly you asked if you could install (not copy) the program on two computers. Perhaps I am justifying what I do but my logic is, I purchased the program for my computer (technically my wife's computer is also mine - I bought it for her) so I see no reason not to install programs I purchase on her computer. If I install those same programs on the computer of a friend or relative then I am in violation of the law. One side benefit is, if my computer crashes which it did recently, I can go to my wifes computer, insert a backup disk for Quicken and not get behind on my finances while my computer is in the shop.

5. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

I had this one, or very similar, come up before. Asfar as I am aware, unless UK law has changed, (and therefor emay be totally irrelevant!), it is considered legal to install on 2 separate computers PROVIDED only 1 will be in use at any one time. So. .. if you want to use a laptop when you are away, that is permitted, but if someone else is using it on the main computer at the same time, it isnt.
    The implications of course are different. Provided you do not give permission for anyone to use one computer while you are using the other, you are deemed to be legal, as no one would be able to legally use the software as you have not given permission. I would leave it to the individual to work out this one :)

6. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

It actually depends on the EULA. Some allow only one, some allow one on the desktop and one on a portable. Some allow you to shift it to another computer but you must uninstall it from the computer where its not in use which is different than just not using it but equivalent if adhered to. Others allow for the purchase of a "family" license where it can be installed in 3-5 machines and still others sell business licences at different user breakpoints.

While most often its the one computer one installation rule I think its the shady business practice of installing one licensed copy on a whole bunch of computers that language speaks to, not so much if its on your desktop AND a laptop to use in the field.

7. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    From the Intuit site

http://quickbooks.intuit.com/qb/common/legal/legal.jhtml#license

(i) Single User License and Single User Add On Pack Purchasers. You may: (a) install the Software on one computer for access and use by only one specific person; and (b) install the Software on one additional portable computer (e.g., a laptop that you own and use in your business), so long as only the same specific person accesses and uses the Software.​

EDIT: From the EULA of an installed stand alone copy of FP 2003:
    1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of this EULA:
    1.1 Installation and use. You may:
    (a) install and use a copy of the Software on one personal computer or other device; and
    (b) install an additional copy of the Software on a second, portable device for the exclusive use of the primary user of the first copy of the Software.​

8. LauraMJ

Thanks so much!!

9. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

But like you said above, it sounds like another person will be using the software on your desktop when you are using it on your laptop. Which is a violation of the license.

10. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi Laura!

QuickBooks has multiuser packs

I've seen it with 3 licenses, not cheap, but if you have to have this setup, it's the way to go.

They change the multiuser versions quite often....

http://forums.quickbooksusers.com/showthread.php?t=8286 Maybe reading some of that will help....

Or this, which I think you are aware of, but posing it anyway!

http://oe.quickbooks.com/product_info.cfm?sc=QBC-V51-HME-HMEPGE-TSTA-060213

Are you sure you want to use a public access wireless connection to work with your business/ financial data?

11. LauraMJ

No, for the software, it would only be me. The PC would be in use, yes, but by children or husband, who have no idea how to use the software in question. The actual software programs would only be used by me.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646806

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice