1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is it OK to dicuss specific Internet servers?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Island Girl, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Island Girl

Island Girl Thread Starter

Here's the thing...I have a great nearly new P.C and it doesn't connect and/or surf the Web any faster then my old crappy one did! I'm soooo frustrated. I assume it's my server but everyone else I know with the same server isn't having problems...
    What to do??? Insist they come check the wires? Any suggestions? Any help appreciated!
    Will give server name when I have the go ahead :confused: :)
    P.S. I've been using this server for about six years and have never had "fast connections"

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The Internet speed is more determined by the speed at which you connect to the Internet rather than the speed of the computer.

For example, if you have a 1 Ghz computer and a 3 Ghz computer, the 3 Ghz is not going to be 3 times faster connecting to the Internet. In fact you likely won't see much difference. Any difference will be from things like how fast is loads IE. But the connection speed is the same.

3. Island Girl

Thanks Bob...(y)
    Here are some visuals that might better explain my situation...
    Specs: Dell Dimension 9150 Intel Pentium D Processer(3.0GHz) w/Dual Core Technology.
    Hard Drive,320 G,S2#1
    Dual inline memory Module 1G, 2x512,533 1R,N-ECC
    Windows XP Media Edition

Attached Files:

4. TOGG

TOGG

There's an interesting piece in today's Windows Secrets newsletter about how IE 7's phishing filter slows things down. If you have IE7, have a look here;http://WindowsSecrets.com/comp/070118 (see the end of the first article). Apparently, there is a patch that could cure some of the problems.

Obviously, you could just disable the filter, but then IE will probably be as risky to use as it always has been!.

5. TOGG

TOGG

Disregard my previous post, I hadn't seen the visuals when I wrote it!

If you think the computer is generally slow you may be able to find some threads here about uninstalling the pre-loaded, and usually unnecessary, stuff that Dell install.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The visuals only show your local LAN connection speed. Again a faster computer typically won't surf the Internet any faster than a slower one. It isn't generally dependent on your processor speed but your Internet connection speed. So if you have a cable connection to the Internet, that doesn't get any faster because you have a faster computer as you are experiencing.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What do you mean when you say you've been using the same server for 6 years? Do you mean your internet service provider?

The picture you uploaded is displaying your network speed, not your internet connection speed.

8. Augie65

Augie65

Go to this speed test site and you will get your download speed and upload speed and you can see if it is similar to what your ISP says you should get. Wait for it to load and select the gold pyramid.
    Speedtest.Net

9. Island Girl

Thank you all for the input...Here is my speed results[​IMG]
    Hope the link works. I can't say I understand it Augie...
    Yes, Doublehelix I do mean my ISP...
    Togg, I do have IE but don't use it unless I have to. I use Mozilla Foxfire as my Default...
    Yes Bob, I do understand what you're saying I just don't know what my speed should be. It always seems to say my connection speed is (as seen in the visuals) what I need to know is if that is my whole problem???:confused:

10. Island Girl

Another question ..
    Can I disable IE? My work site says I need to use it although the web pages aren't coming up properly anyway...So can I temporarily disable it and have quick access if needed?

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Not sure of a way to disable it. Just don't use it. Use whatever different browser you want like Firefox or Opera.

12. Island Girl

Thanks Bob.
    I do use Foxfire but I find IE intrusive ...It just pops up every now and then mainly if I receive web sites through my E-mail...Anyway I thought perhaps it might be a good idea to disable it if I could...:)

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yes, if you click on a web site in an e-mail, the default web browser will start. This would be the same regardless of whether IE or Firefox were set as the default.

14. Island Girl

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It doesn't so much disable it as misconfigure it so you can't access the Internet with it.

That would not solve the problem you described of IE opening when you click on a web site link in an e-mail. In fact it would make it worse since that web page wouldn't even open.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536259

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice